Where to buy mume in NY/ USA?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys, been looking online for some prebonsai/saplings of mume and seem to be hitting a dead end. Especially looking for bright pink like the beni-chidori or almost red color variety. Would anyone know where I could get one locally or online?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey guys, been looking online for some prebonsai/saplings of mume and seem to be hitting a dead end. Especially looking for bright pink like the beni-chidori or almost red color variety. Would anyone know where I could get one locally or online?

Prunus mume has been available from Evergreen Gardenworks. Look under the 'Prunus" link in their online catalog

He is one of the best growers but some varieties are very difficult to propagate and failure of an entire year's cuttings can happen.
He had a lot of trouble with them last year after several years of growing them. Youll have to keep track of their web page to see if they do have any this year.

Last edited:

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Prunus mume has been available from Evergreen Gardenworks. Look under the 'Prunus" link in their online catalog

He is one of the best growers but some varieties are very difficult to propagate and failure of an entire year's cuttings can happen.
He had a lot of trouble with them last year after several years of growing them. Youll have to keep track of their web page to see if they do have any this year.
I checked them out, thank you for the replay btw. Sadly seems they are unavailable right now according to the site. I sent them an email anyway. Crossing fingers.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brent at Evergreengardenworks doesn't have any Prunus Mume available. I thought he made it perfectly clear on his website that its near impossible for him to propagate them due to his climate.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brent at Evergreengardenworks doesn't have any Prunus Mume available. I thought he made it perfectly clear on his website that its near impossible for him to propagate them due to his climate.

I had a conversation with him last year regarding Prunus mume and the difficulties he was having with propagating them. Although they have grown them successfully for many years, albeit with difficulty, they had many crop failures last year because of the changes to their weather. As we know that area of the country has seen some severe drought and increases in temperature in the last few years.

He did not say he was no longer growing them entirely yet. They are rethinking their approach for now and will not have any available for the time being.
This is consistent with the conversation I had with him last year.

I agree it seems like trying to continue growing them in his climate may be impossible to the point where it is no longer worth trying to do.
They may decide to give up on Prunus mume, but until he actually says he is giving up on them, its worth while to keep checking back at his web site.
Unfortunately I do think it is very likely he will stop trying to grow them as it probably isnt worth the work and effort for the rate of success at this point.

This is the quote from his web site where he discusses the difficulties of growing them:
I did miss the part about having "to take off several years"

Growing mume is problematic for many people including us.

Unfortunately, mume are very difficult for us to grow from cuttings. They like cool humid summer temperatures, and our weather is hot semi arid, the polar opposite. The challenge is enormous, and we will have to take off several years to rethink how to do this. We will keep the descriptive part of the catalog intact, but will not list prices or availability until we actually have plants to sell. This will avoid the confusion and disappointment. So, please do not request mume until they are actually listed, we will not have any.

Just remembered that member here @Pitoon has been working on cultivating them as well so maybe he is at the point where he can also be a source?

Last edited:
Top Bottom