Where to buy/order in Canada

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Hey Fellow peeps!
Its been a while since i have been on here, i have looked every where and other than 2 sites i found, where can i buy bonsais online that ship to or are form canada , i live in alberta and i just cant seem to find that many. looking for a chinese elm or shimpaku ect

D

Deleted member 21616

I'm in Montreal, and haven't found anybody online who will sell and ship trees to me in Canada.

I don't know where you are in Alberta but i'm sure there are, at the very least, bonsai societies/clubs based in Calgary and Edmonton. The administrators and members of those clubs are the people who are going to help you most in your search for trees.

Thank you,
Derek

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Fellow peeps!
Its been a while since i have been on here, i have looked every where and other than 2 sites i found, where can i buy bonsais online that ship to or are form canada , i live in alberta and i just cant seem to find that many. looking for a chinese elm or shimpaku ect
The paperwork required for cross border shipping of Bonsai is extensive and adds considerable to the cost and complication of shipping Bonsai. Most of the purchasing within Canada is from customers who visit nurseries and select in person, Then they arrange the shipping or transport themselves! Export/Import Permits are applied for well in advance for specific species from certain locations. You cannot get a permit for elm. Shimpaku are readily available from Washington and Oregon. The permit process is easier from Washington than it is from Oregon.
You must also apply for Phytosanitary certificates from APHIS that are specific to the state, species and method of transport for each shipment.
There are Bonsai nurseries in Canada , ask around the experienced Bonsai enthusiasts.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
i just wasnt sure if anyone knew any online sources to order from that are Canadian.
Thank you Riversedge for your info tho, it is greatly appreciated

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Fellow peeps!
What are you looking for? Style wise? I know of a few nurseries in Vancouver and am friends with one. Maybe we could work something out that makes us both happy.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live near Calgary, and all of my trees are either from general nurseries or collected. When I first asked around regarding bonsai, I got two responses, if you aren’t a rich old man with time on his time, it’s really not worth bothering, and that it is nearly impossible in our climate. Those are both bogus in my opinion, but you will most likely have to create, rather than buy a bonsai. PM me if you want some suggestions on species and sources. There are some awesome yamadori in the province, and I could use a collecting buddy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nearly impossible in our climate. Those are both bogus in my opinion

Super bogus! Those Canadian show threads are up...from @f1pt4 (nailed that shit!)
You all do it!

I think collecting is key though...
It makes possible the "nearly" in "nearly impossible".

S

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I mean i look at nigel saunders ( hope i spelled that right ) on you tube and he is canadian i believe and that guy has an awesome collection , im looking for a chinese elm, or serissa, acer maple , shimpaku , i really wanna try perineef style , upright informal, semi cascade. is it to late in the season to collect ?

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I live near Calgary, and all of my trees are either from general nurseries or collected. When I first asked around regarding bonsai, I got two responses, if you aren’t a rich old man with time on his time, it’s really not worth bothering, and that it is nearly impossible in our climate. Those are both bogus in my opinion, but you will most likely have to create, rather than buy a bonsai. PM me if you want some suggestions on species and sources. There are some awesome yamadori in the province, and I could use a collecting buddy.
lol well im just out side of edmonton im down to learn a thing or two about collecting

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol well im just out side of edmonton im down to learn a thing or two about collecting
Just returned from Edmonton, Bought a new camper van in Spruce Grove. Let me know by pm what size etc Shimpaku you are looking for, i have lots in my nursery. I do not operate online sales, just old school where the customer selects what they want in person.
I do come back and forth to Edmonton several times per year.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mean i look at nigel saunders ( hope i spelled that right ) on you tube and he is canadian i believe and that guy has an awesome collection , im looking for a chinese elm, or serissa, acer maple , shimpaku , i really wanna try perineef style , upright informal, semi cascade. is it to late in the season to collect ?
I find shimpaku do well in our area with winter protection for the roots. I have found the first three species to be challenging, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I usually only collect in the spring, but I’ve heard of people around Edmonton collecting larch after needle drop with good success. Olive, ficus and bougainvillea have all done well for me indoors during the winter, and these are all available from general garden centres. I have a boug I am trying to train perineef style.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Just returned from Edmonton, Bought a new camper van in Spruce Grove. Let me know by pm what size etc Shimpaku you are looking for, i have lots in my nursery. I do not operate online sales, just old school where the customer selects what they want in person.
I do come back and forth to Edmonton several times per year.

im very close to Spruce grove it wont allow me to message you please , pm so i can reply

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I find shimpaku do well in our area with winter protection for the roots. I have found the first three species to be challenging, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I usually only collect in the spring, but I’ve heard of people around Edmonton collecting larch after needle drop with good success. Olive, ficus and bougainvillea have all done well for me indoors during the winter, and these are all available from general garden centres. I have a boug I am trying to train perineef style.
i was looking at some olive and ficus plants, but they were big leaf ficus i wanted small or medium leaf. also i seen some ornamental lemon and lime plants that looked very interesting

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It’s not too late in the season to collect. As long as you can provide adequate winter protection for your newly collected trees.
Young larches you can collect pretty much any time. I have with a nearly 100% success rate. Young larches that haven’t started getting coarse bark and are flexible. Mature stock you should prep the season before and collect in the spring imo.
Spruces hit and miss. I found spring collection the best with about 50/50 in early fall. Thuja same as spruce.
I know people that take collected spruces and larches and keep them in a heated greenhouse over their *FIRST* winter. They say it helps. I just put everything in covered cold frames. Heeled, mulched in. Covered in snow until spring comes.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i was looking at some olive and ficus plants, but they were big leaf ficus i wanted small or medium leaf. also i seen some ornamental lemon and lime plants that looked very interesting
Yeah but you need adequate lights, temperature and humidity for Edmonton.
It’s fun, gives you something to eye over the cold dreary months. Watch out for insects. Aphids, scale and mites!
If you have the will, it’s absolutly doable.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super bogus! Those Canadian show threads are up...from @f1pt4 (nailed that shit!)
You all do it!

I think collecting is key though...
It makes possible the "nearly" in "nearly impossible".

S
Thanks Sorce.

Quite a few trees from our spring show were at the Nationals this year.

Even Penelope made an appearance.. (at our show not the Nationals)

Yes collecting localyish gives you access to trees that can take the local weather.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are interested in collecting near there, I’ve seen some nice larch, black spruce and jack pine near Edmonton. Collecting from fairly wet areas tends to give you nice shallow root systems. I have a naturalistic formal upright larch I collected in the fall under these conditions. It’s doing great.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are interested in collecting near there, I’ve seen some nice larch, black spruce and jack pine near Edmonton. Collecting from fairly wet areas tends to give you nice shallow root systems. I have a naturalistic formal upright larch I collected in the fall under these conditions. It’s doing great.

Collecting in bogs here I find the opposite to be true. Usually long tap roots with very few shallow roots, let along fine feeders.. Unless the trees happened to air layer themselves in the sphagnum growing abundantly.

Nice find with the jack pine but I’d wait till spring for highest success rate imo.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
im not a huge larch fan but they are growing on me , i hit up 3 different nursery's and they didn't have anything that caught my eye they had "maple bonsais" half dead Japanese maple cuttings that were full of spiders lol

Top Bottom