Where to buy Sharps Pygmy?

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone know where to buy Sharps Pygmy JM? Specially rooted cuttings or pre-bonsai material. I tried Evergreen and Telperion but both don't have it. Thanks!

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The ones they listed on their site is out of my price range. I wonder if they offer rooted cuttings if I call/email them?

I happened across one last year. It was at a ma & pa kinda' nursery - more expensive than a big box store but way less than a bonsai nursery, seek out those kind of places if you have any near you - you might get lucky, took me two years to find one around where I live. Or, push come to shove, you could order a stock plant from here: http://www.mendocinomaples.com/japa...atum-acer-japonicum-and-acer-shirasawanum/all I've thought about buying a few hard to find varieties from them, they've got a lot for a reasonable price (the same or less than the big box stores for comparable material in my experience)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wouldn't hurt to call them. Owen Reich might have rooted cuttings.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another excellent source is Pre-Bonsai Mark (Mark Comstock). He may have some.
Pre-Bonsai Mark has great material. He really works hard on the roots, creating a flat base with spreading roots. I bought a Kashima maple from him on one of the Facebook auction groups that had very nice roots 360 degrees all around. Not inexpensive but in my opinion worth it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You could look for one of the other japanese maple cultivars. I personally want kotohime cuttings/young material and a cork bark variety myself. Not many people seem to have them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Call local nurseries and see if any have some, that is where I lucked up on mine. If they have a large assortment of Japanese maples they will have a grower they purchase from and can usually order what you want.

Top Bottom