Where to buy small Zuisho JWPs and other cultivars in Europe (Germany)

Khaiba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey guys!

I've recently decided to try propagating specific Japanese White Pines and Prunus mume cultivars via grafting and am having no luck finding these online (except for very expensive and already refined bonsai).

The cultivars I'm looking for are:
- Pinus parv. 'Zuisho'
- Pinus parv. 'Arakawa'
- Prunus mume 'Omoi no mama'
(- any kind of JWP with a really saturated needle color (not really fond of pale greyish needles))

Does anyone know where to get smaller and less expensive specimen of these? Or do you know someone who might sell some and could ship them to Germany?
Any advice or tips are appreciated :)

Cheers
Khaiba

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, JWP var 'Negishi' was relatively common in German garden centers when I was still living there. Their needles aren't grey-ish but they're a bit long.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1598961726545.png
It was a fast delivery with very good packaging as usual... the front row is two young JWP zuisho grafts, the second row is 2 JBP 'senjumaru' grafts, the third row 2 JWP 'kokonoe' grafts, then a JWP 'negishi' and a sylvestris 'waterii'. With the exception of the 'waterii', all those pines came from Maillot this year.

Khaiba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very nice! Do you know how often they restock their Kokonoe JWPs? I'd love to get my hands on one of those as well...
I know Zuisho is supposed to air layer fairly well, any experience with Kokonoe?

It was a fast delivery with very good packaging as usual... the front row is two young JWP zuisho grafts, the second row is 2 JBP 'senjumaru' grafts, the third row 2 JWP 'kokonoe' grafts, then a JWP 'negishi' and a sylvestris 'waterii'. With the exception of the 'waterii', all those pines came from Maillot this year.
Is there a reason why the Kokonoe on the right has a light green color while the one on the left is dark?

I hope Maillot does good and bonsai-friendly grafts... Haven't had the best of luck with ordering grafted trees online (even from Bonsai stores)

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know how often he restocks kokonoe. As far as I can tell, I bought the last pair from a previous year batch this spring... the branches were pretty bare so possibly a batch from 2017 or 2018. Luckily they tend to bud easily. There may be more in quarantine storage if they're imported grafts like the senjumaru. Maybe ask him if he's planning to restock soon. The button on the page to be warned when it's restocked doesn't work, based on first hand experience.

No experience air layering kokonoe yet, supposedly it behaves a lot like zuisho, so it should air layer as well. In practice, I will find out in a couple of years if it works. I'm also planning to air layer the sacrifice trunk lines on the senjumaru in a few years.

The only difference that comes to mind between the two kokonoe is that I didn't repot the right one yet. so its soil may be well past its prime. They were the same color when they came in (somewhat lighter than the left but darker than the right), they had the same exposition and the same fertilizing. I think they'll be the same color again after the spring repot of the second one.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got some zuisho from maillot as well, we should have a 5 year challenge! Fast shipping to the UK. They look healthy, but I would maybe take a look at the growing media and roots, perhaps its too late now, maybe spring will be better, but I decided to repot. They're cell grown, so if you want good nebari, there's an air layer needed somewhere down the line.

I think Kenwith in the UK have 1 arakawa left, being 2 or 3yrs old they're obviously not barking up yet! I would love to be sure they're arakawa.

I got a kokonoe from mammutgarten.de in Germany, they might still have stock. Good size, 4/5 yrs old. Got a great hagaromo from them too.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I got a Zuisho from Maillot a couple of years ago, nearly lost it due to root rot in the compost it was in...it’s happy now though in bark/molar clay and in a pond basket. I bought a Kotoboki and a Kokonoe from them this summer and decided to deal with the soil straight away this time...., the Kotobuki was in (Japanese?) grit with healthy roots so I more or less just potted it up, the Kokonoe however was in compost which fell away from the (lack of) roots. I put it in free draining stuff in a pond basket but it declined and died. I’ve not bothered moaning as I arguably “voided the warranty” by repotting it straight away and in summer and it was so similar to the Zuisho I already have.

Maybe the best bet is to leave pines that arrive in compost / with compromised roots as-is but greatly reduce watering until they are happy again and THEN start replacing the soil? Not sure.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there a reason why the Kokonoe on the right has a light green color while the one on the left is dark?
Quick follow-up, the color difference was definitely due to the old soil. I repotted the lighter one this year and it's recovering.

Peace

Seed
Reaction score
Greetings, does anybody know whether it is possible to have branches to graft or small grafted seedlings by JBP Senjumaru?
I live in Lombardy (Italy) and actually I can't find any, thanks

Top Bottom