Where to buy trees in LA area?

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am traveling to Los Angeles on business in a few weeks and I have at least one whole day free. I am looking for tips on where this New England bonsai guy should go to get some new material.

Where should I visit and are there certain species I should look to get? I'm under the impression certain things like junipers are cheaper in the Southwest?

I'm willing to drive as long as I can be back in LA by morning.

My plant budget will probably be like $300 ... rather find one outstanding tree to spend it all on.
Thanks for the tips!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fuji bonsai in Sylmar.

Roy Nagatoshi, I believe. A colleague went there 0ne or two years ago and was blown away.

Plenty of nurseries in the area, as far as I know. Safe travels.:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In no particular order, here are the biggest:

Kimura Bonsai Nursery, Northridge, CA

Chikugo-En, Gardena, CA

House of Bonsai, Lakewood, CA

Yamaguchi Bonsai Nursery, Los Angeles, CA

San Gabriel Nursery, San Gabriel, CA

Fuji Bonsai Nursery, Sylmar, CA

$300 won't go very far if you are looking for a finished tree, but you should be able to get a decent pre-bonsai for that much. A lot depends if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Each place has strengths and weaknesses. As to be expected, the more work put into the material, the higher the price will be. House of Bonsai produces a lot of pre-bonsai systematically, so their trees can be a little cookie-cutter, but it is a good place to go to pick up an raw JBP with a chunky base, for example. Chikugo-En has a more personal relationship with each of their trees, and it shows in the quality of their stock, but the prices are also much higher. All of these nurseries are well-established and have been around for years.

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am traveling to Los Angeles on business in a few weeks and I have at least one whole day free. I am looking for tips on where this New England bonsai guy should go to get some new material.

Where should I visit and are there certain species I should look to get? I'm under the impression certain things like junipers are cheaper in the Southwest?

My plant budget will probably be like $300 ... rather find one outstanding tree to spend it all on.
Thanks for the tips!!

Here is a link to a list of California nursery's the Phoenix Bonsai Society website provides. Can not vouch for all but it is a resource list.

http://public.phoenixbonsai.com/resources/

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Show Off! :)

LOL I've been to other nurseries not on my list... that I DON'T vouch for :) All joking aside, I've been to every bonsai nursery within two hours of Orange County. After all, I've lived here more than 20 years. Any time I travel, I am usually hitting up bonsai nurseries as well :) I'm sure most people on this site can relate.

By the way one place that I want to visit that I haven't been to yet is Nuccio's. It isn't bonsai, but it is azalea and camellia heaven. I have a Nuccio camellia that is out of this world (called Nuccio's Gem). Any time Monrovia starts selling your cultivars, you know you have hit the big time!

353.jpg

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
San Gabriel Nursery is my favorite. I'm pretty introverted and don't like to chit chat with bonsai folks IRL. SG Nursery tends towards the private experience I prefer, and I like their big selection (more deciduous than the others) and layout. They also aren't "uppity" like (sorry to say) places like Kimura are. Some bonsai shops take their trees and themselves too seriously for my liking. If you want friendly bonsai people, Fuji (Roy and his underlings) has always been nice folk.

Kimura and Fuji are much more "bonsai culture" type places if you want to talk hobby with someone. Same with House of Bonsai, which has lots of nice stuff and one of the best selection of supplies. But as the admin mentioned, their pre-bonsai trees tend to look cookie cutter. Then again, Fuji (must everything be wired down?) and Kimura (left-right-back by-the-book) all have their own styles. too.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
AALen next time you go shopping you can bring me along. I'll be uppity enough for both of us! :)

A lot depends on what you are interested in. For example, for years Gary at Chikugo-En used to have a lot of different JBP cultivars. He was the king of cork bark black pines. Then he stopped grafting them because (if my memory serves) he said they were too weak and didn't grow fast enough... and there wasn't enough of a market to justify the labor. He has a lot of nice shimpaku twists. And, if he has one available, he is the only place in Southern California that I am aware of where you can get a true Tosho (Japanese needle juniper).

If you want cork bark elms, or catlin elms, San Gabriel Nursery is the place. I have probably bought more pre-bonsai from here than any other nursery. Their finished bonsai is expensive, in my opinion, for what you get. Just buy stuff that hasn't made it out of the nursery pot yet :) It is a great place to hit up every 6 months because they are always rotating stock. It is also my source for Kotobuki and Yatsufusa JBP.

House of Bonsai is great if you enjoy wading out into 10,000 square feet of junipers and picking out your favorite. Last time I was there I went out into a field of San Jose junipers and found a Shimpaku and Kaizuka hidden in the middle. The owner (I can't remember her name) is crusty. She will go from being outright pleasant to downright rude... and back again. It's like she doesn't have any social intelligence. I have gotten used to her outbursts however - and I really don't think she means it but she just isn't aware of how she comes off. One time I mentioned something about one of my trees and she snapped at me "I don't want to talk about your trees!" A lot of inventory and acres of space... but be prepared, LOL!

If the OP is looking for something specific, perhaps we can point him one direction or other.

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Victoria is HoB's owner I believe. She's actually been pretty nice to me, but I tend to elicit a calming maternal effect on older Asian women. :) It's probably why I'm still single :(

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Victoria is HoB's owner I believe. She's actually been pretty nice to me, but I tend to elicit a calming maternal effect on older Asian women. :) It's probably why I'm still single :(

Yes! Victoria! I am always super nice to her... but sometimes she just says some crazy stuff that is so awkwardly rude you wonder if she is trying to joke? And then you realize she is serious? But like I said, sometimes she is super friendly and all smiles.

That day I found the shimpaku and kaizuka she actually made me take her out in the field and show her where I picked up the trees. Then she told me the shimpaku would be $20 extra because she didn't know she had it :) I took it all in stride. I get along well with quirky people which is why I like bonsai :) Maybe I am quirky!

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing info everyone, thanks!!! Yes I'm looking for prebonsai stock not finished trees. As far as species... not sure but JBP, and juniper are on my radar... just got a nice corkbark elm so not that.... maybe I'll even get to hit two places if there are this many choices... can't wait!!! Have to remember to save some of the budget for shipping, figure I'll stop at a mail box store and pack my loot to send home ...

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
[

Thanks for the tips!!

Where will you be staying? That will make a difference if you only have one day. At one end of the county you have Roys place-Fuji bonsai and my place Kimura bonsai- in west LA yamaguchi. South of the airport- Gary Isshi's Chikugo-en and a bit further south House of bonsai. Further west in Thousand Oaks is Travis Goldstein's California Bonsai Studio, East towards Pasadena is San Gabriel Nursery

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
San Gabriel Nursery is my favorite. I'm pretty introverted and don't like to chit chat with bonsai folks IRL. SG Nursery tends towards the private experience I prefer, and I like their big selection (more deciduous than the others) and layout. They also aren't "uppity" like (sorry to say) places like Kimura are. Some bonsai shops take their trees and themselves too seriously for my liking. If you want friendly bonsai people, Fuji (Roy and his underlings) has always been nice folk.

Kimura and Fuji are much more "bonsai culture" type places if you want to talk hobby with someone. Same with House of Bonsai, which has lots of nice stuff and one of the best selection of supplies. But as the admin mentioned, their pre-bonsai trees tend to look cookie cutter. Then again, Fuji (must everything be wired down?) and Kimura (left-right-back by-the-book) all have their own styles. too.

Uppity? If someone here acted uppity I'd like to know about it. I'll have to talk to them unless of course it was me-which is possible I suppose. If it was me I apologize maybe you caught me at a awkward time, I'm also somewhat introverted at times. Anyhow if you'd like to discuss I'd appreciate it either by pm or here, I don't want to come off as uppity or have my nursery seem that way either.

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Uppity? If someone here acted uppity I'd like to know about it. I'll have to talk to them unless of course it was me-which is possible I suppose. If it was me I apologize maybe you caught me at a awkward time, I'm also somewhat introverted at times. Anyhow if you'd like to discuss I'd appreciate it either by pm or here, I don't want to come off as uppity or have my nursery seem that way either.

Hi Bob,
It's not my intention to impugn your reputation, and I apologize for the unnecessary call-out (very bad form of me). It's arguably more so my own issue. The handful times I have visited (Northridge is an hour away from me), I came away with the impression that you take bonsai seriously, which is not a bad thing at all. It's just not what I connect with. It's nothing major, just little things that I don't feel like recounting because I fear it'll make me look petty or judgmental ;)

I'll be the first to admit I find many artists, musicians, chefs, and bonsai enthusiasts "uppity." Trying to define the word is going to open up a can of worms :p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You're the Man BP!

Thanks for staying the guy that I rep!

I feel you @AALen ....!
No worries!

Sometimes "uppity" is good....
But sometimes being left alone In thought is what I'm looking for too!

I have seen the same situation in Fish Shops....

There are so many ignorant people, they come off as if "you" are ignorant Too.
When they only mean to help with good intention.

@bonsaibp always the qualifier..."how long have you been into bonsai?"

Rapport builder..."do you Have any pictures of your garden?"
(which doubles as a source for the REAL answer to qualifier!)

It was probly the new Guy!

How's he doing BTW? Still there?

Sorce

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Bob,
It's not my intention to impugn your reputation, and I apologize for the unnecessary call-out (very bad form of me). It's arguably more so my own issue. The handful times I have visited (Northridge is an hour away from me), I came away with the impression that you take bonsai seriously, which is not a bad thing at all. It's just not what I connect with. It's nothing major, just little things that I don't feel like recounting because I fear it'll make me look petty or judgmental ;)

I'll be the first to admit I find many artists, musicians, chefs, and bonsai enthusiasts "uppity." Trying to define the word is going to open up a can of worms :p

No worries, and no harm done to my reputation-hell I do that better than anyone else! I'd like to know the little things, maybe in a pm if you don't mind. If there are things I can do to make people's experiences here better I'm all for it. Sometimes we can't see whats right in front of us. If it helps me make a better business than it's not petty or judgmental, its good constructive criticism.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You're the Man BP!

Thanks for staying the guy that I rep!

I feel you @AALen ....!
No worries!

Sometimes "uppity" is good....
But sometimes being left alone In thought is what I'm looking for too!

I have seen the same situation in Fish Shops....

There are so many ignorant people, they come off as if "you" are ignorant Too.
When they only mean to help with good intention.

@bonsaibp always the qualifier..."how long have you been into bonsai?"

Rapport builder..."do you Have any pictures of your garden?"
(which doubles as a source for the REAL answer to qualifier!)

It was probly the new Guy!

How's he doing BTW? Still there?

Sorce
The new guy is actually a girl and I seriously doubt if anyone ever thought of Audrey as uppity- she's a sweetheart.

Top Bottom