Where to buy?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi everyone, the book I’m reading provided some nursery which I can buy seedlings/liners from. But it requires that I buy a wholesale amount or require some sort of licensing. Question where do y’all source for tree/seedlings, substrates and supply.

Any recommendations are welcome have a good one. thank you in advance

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's a very general question that runs the risk of getting answers like "did you check the internet?" What are you looking for exactly?

The resources available online are vast. For soil, I like Bonsai Jack. International bonsai and many others have seedlings. Let me know what you are looking for.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Appreciate the advice. I’m looking for the rarer Japanese maple seedlings. Benichidori. Arakawa, seigen, Deshojo
where is a good place to source for Akadama, pumice and lava
Where to find good training pots and where to look for final pots

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
That's a very general question that runs the risk of getting answers like "did you check the internet?" What are you looking for exactly?

The resources available online are vast. For soil, I like Bonsai Jack. International bonsai and many others have seedlings. Let me know what you are looking for.
I was hoping for people to comment their favorite online site for purchasing everything bonsai related.
I’m currently ordering from stone lantern, bonsai outlet and bonsaifly. Let me know what y’all use. I was really hoping to browse and get more ideas/familiarizing with the art as a whole.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, I just wrote an article about J&Gs Japanese Maples, which I like for JM. He ships. Otherwise I have different favorites for different stock, depending what you are looking for.

Soil I use a lot of so I get it from Bonsai Learning Center, and order enough to get pallet pricing. But I also pick up locally to save on shipping. I would recommend seeing if you can hook up with some of the Georgia folks here who I seem to recall do group buys on soil.

Often, for both trees and soil, one of the best places to go is one of the bigger bonsai shows.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind that those maple seedlings are not the cultivars but simply Acer palmatum. https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/availabl.htm is a great place for rooted cuttings which will give you the cultivars.
Here is a current list:
Acer palmatum
0500 A. palmatum seedlings2 3/4 inch $15, 4inch $25 , 1gal $40
0501 A. palmatum (small leaf dwarf)4inch $27, 1gallon $40
0502 A. palmatum (small leaf, small seed) 2 3/4 inch $18, 4inch $27, 1gallon $40
0503 A. palmatum (Ryusen seedlings) 2 3/4 $18, 4inch $27
0508 A. palmatum 'Ao Kanzashi' 2 3/4 inch $25 , 4inch $35 1gallon $55
0531 A. palmatum 'Bloodgood' 2 3/4 inch $25
0534 A. palmatum 'Burgundy Lace' one gallon $55
0535 A. palmatum 'Butterfly' 2 3/4inch $27
0544 A. palmatum 'Coonaria Pygmy', 2 3/4 inch $35
0556 A. palmatum 'Fall Gold'2 3/4 inch $25
0581 A. palmatum 'Ibo Nishiki' 2 3/4 inch $25 , 4inch $35 , 1gallon $55
0583 A. palmatum 'Inabe Shidare' 2 3/4 inch $35
0595 A. palmatum 'Karasugawa' 2 3/4 inch $35
0598 A. palmatum 'Katsura' 2 3/4 inch $25
0601 A. palmatum 'Kiyohime' 2 3/4 inch 2023
0639 A. palmatum 'Mure Hibari' 2 3/4inch $27 Sold Out
0647 A. palmatum 'Novum' 2 3/4 inch $25
0650 A. palmatum atropurpureum 'Nuresagi' 2023
0658 A. palmatum 'Orido Nishiki' 2 3/4inch $35
0665 A. palmatum 'Pixie' 2 3/4 inch $35 Sold Out
0675 A. palmatum 'Ryusen' 1 gallon $65 Sold Out
0682 A. palmatum 'Sazanami' 2 3/4 inch $25 , 1gallon $55 Sold Out
0686 A. palmatum 'Seiryu' 2 3/4 inch $25
0694 A. palmatum 'Shindeshojo' 2 3/4 inch $35 Sold Out
0699 A. palmatum 'Shishio Improved'2 3/4 $27
0745 A. palmatum 'Whitney Red'' 2 3/4inch $27
0749 A. palmatum 'Yuri Hime' 2 3/4 inch $35, 4inch $50
As to the other things, both Bonsai Jack and Stone Lantern are great.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, here’s some advice from an old veteran to a newbie: YOU DON’T WANT THOSE FANCY CULTIVARS.

Just in case you missed it, STAY AWAY FROM THE FANCY JAPANESE MAPLE CULTIVARS.

The best Japanese Maple bonsai are built from ordinary “Green Mountain Japanese Maple”. Really. Start with those, and after you have a decade of experience, then try the fancy ones. Almost all the fancy ones are weak. They don’t grow strongly, or are super sensitive, or have long internodes, or sunscald, or get easily diseased, or, or, or…. Something.

As for soil, join the Atlanta Bonsai Society. They do a group buy of soil every year, we get it straight from Japan, no middlemen, so it’s the best quality, at the best price.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
STAY AWAY FROM THE FANCY JAPANESE MAPLE CULTIVARS.
Unless you want Japanese Maples as a collection. Many of the cultivars are not good for bonsai as stated above. I have over 40 cultivars in my maple collection and I love all of them. But only a small percentage of them are good for bonsai.

D

Deleted member 32750

Appreciate the advice. I’m looking for the rarer Japanese maple seedlings. Benichidori. Arakawa, seigen, Deshojo
where is a good place to source for Akadama, pumice and lava
Where to find good training pots and where to look for final pots
I will have Deshojo and Arakawa rooted cuttings available for sale next year in limited quantities. Seigen is rather hard to find and benichidori is nearly impossible to find in the US.
As others mentioned, Green seedling acer palmatum are the most vigorous and lend themselves best to bonsai training, but i think its worthwhile to have dwarf cultivars in your collection as well.

for soil, the bonsai learning center has soil for good prices.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

I will have Deshojo and Arakawa rooted cuttings available for sale next year in limited quantities. Seigen is rather hard to find and benichidori is nearly impossible to find in the US.
As others mentioned, Green seedling acer palmatum are the most vigorous and lend themselves best to bonsai training, but i think its worthwhile to have dwarf cultivars in your collection as well.

for soil, the bonsai learning center has soil for good prices.
How would one place an order?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Unless you want Japanese Maples as a collection. Many of the cultivars are not good for bonsai as stated above. I have over 40 cultivars in my maple collection and I love all of them. But only a small percentage of them are good for bonsai.
Unfortunately that’s the only species that I’m gravitated towards so far

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ok, here’s some advice from an old veteran to a newbie: YOU DON’T WANT THOSE FANCY CULTIVARS.

Just in case you missed it, STAY AWAY FROM THE FANCY JAPANESE MAPLE CULTIVARS.

The best Japanese Maple bonsai are built from ordinary “Green Mountain Japanese Maple”. Really. Start with those, and after you have a decade of experience, then try the fancy ones. Almost all the fancy ones are weak. They don’t grow strongly, or are super sensitive, or have long internodes, or sunscald, or get easily diseased, or, or, or…. Something.

As for soil, join the Atlanta Bonsai Society. They do a group buy of soil every year, we get it straight from Japan, no middlemen, so it’s the best quality, at the best price.
I’m in contact with them on FB. Hopefully I’ll be a member soon. Do they usually welcome newbies? I can be an odd duck lol

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Buy yourself some seed and grow your own. If you want to shave some time there's always something available here on the forum. I have a tray left of some small seed JM, they're about 3yrs old if you're interested.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Buy yourself some seed and grow your own. If you want to shave some time there's always something available here on the forum. I have a tray left of some small seed JM, they're about 3yrs old if you're interested.
Are you in Georgia or it will need to be ship? And if so how much do they go for?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of us look around regular garden centers or nurseries for potential material, or trade here. Except those who have a bonsai specific nursery nearby, of course, or can make it to a show where sales are going on. I have a habit of coming home from a walk with a pocket full of cuttings.
Remember that just about any woody plant can be used to some level as bonsai, so keep an eye out in the yard, or ask your neighbors even, for anything with potential that you can dig up. Even if it's not what you want, you get allot of experience and knowledge about the horticultural side of bonsai, which is absolutely essential.

There are potters here that routinely sell/auction their work, as well as some of the sources mentioned before. Soil can start fights sometimes, but if you want to mix your own there are dozens of options you can research by using the search function on this site.

Otherwise, yeah, search the net.

Edit: So, yeah, half of bonsai is learning to see the potential in the things around you. Seriously, one of your neighbors has a maple with cool leaves and short internodes. Just be the weirdo on the block and ask for some cuttings.

Top Bottom