Where to buy?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Most of us look around regular garden centers or nurseries for potential material, or trade here. Except those who have a bonsai specific nursery nearby, of course, or can make it to a show where sales are going on. I have a habit of coming home from a walk with a pocket full of cuttings.
Remember that just about any woody plant can be used to some level as bonsai, so keep an eye out in the yard, or ask your neighbors even, for anything with potential that you can dig up. Even if it's not what you want, you get allot of experience and knowledge about the horticultural side of bonsai, which is absolutely essential.

There are potters here that routinely sell/auction their work, as well as some of the sources mentioned before. Soil can start fights sometimes, but if you want to mix your own there are dozens of options you can research by using the search function on this site.

Otherwise, yeah, search the net.

Edit: So, yeah, half of bonsai is learning to see the potential in the things around you. Seriously, one of your neighbors has a maple with cool leaves and short internodes. Just be the weirdo on the block and ask for some cuttings.
Lets get to asking, my wife is going to love this.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m in contact with them on FB. Hopefully I’ll be a member soon. Do they usually welcome newbies? I can be an odd duck lol
The Atlanta is very friendly with newbies. At one point, EVERYONE is a newbie! The goal of the club is to get you past that point as quickly as possible!

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hope all is well. I have a question, What’s a good source for Itoigawa junipers? Maybe 3-5yrs or 7 or older. Just want to explore my options.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like working with maples as well. The plain vanilla green JM are your best bet especially when starting out. As others have pointed out, many of the fancy cultivars will give you issues in the development process. The fancy cultivars can of course be developed into bonsai, but it will be a somewhat more nuanced process than the plain vanilla. I'll develop some additional cultivars as well, understanding some may be slower and more difficult. Not sure anyone recommended shishigashira here. Great cultivar IMO. If my neighbors haven't confused my maples for weed yet, the shishi will convince them. Trident maple is a must have as well if you're into maples.

There are lots of other species that are great for bonsai. I enjoy working with elms, and many have such tiny leaves that they are just begging to be bonsaied. I would suggest giving Chinese and Seiju elms a try.

Choosing material to start with is a bit of an art in itself and is very subjective. For me, seeds and saplings are simply too long a process. Were it not for my "older" trees, I wouldn't have the patience to grow seedlings. The seedlings are a lot more fun for me when I have actual trees. That said, Evergreen Garden Works is a great place for seedlings.

I would highly recommend Green Thumb Bonsai. He's got a bunch of field grown trees (maples, azaleas, elms etc.) that have been growing for a number of years with bonsai in mind. Check out his site. John's a good guy as well and many of the trees have good starting calipers. I've purchased a number of trees from him and have been very satisfied. A larger caliper trident, for example, will set you back about $250, but it will have a 2+ inch trunk and put you about 10 years ahead of where you'd be with the seedlings.

Deshojo will be ready next year for sure
Please hit me up when the Deshojo are ready.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try plant city bonsai in north Georgia . The barn nursery in Chattanooga has some nice big maples. I have ordered some maple seedlings from ebay and etsy to start with .I'm using them for playing around with. Using them for Cuttings and some trunk chops.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I like working with maples as well. The plain vanilla green JM are your best bet especially when starting out. As others have pointed out, many of the fancy cultivars will give you issues in the development process. The fancy cultivars can of course be developed into bonsai, but it will be a somewhat more nuanced process than the plain vanilla. I'll develop some additional cultivars as well, understanding some may be slower and more difficult. Not sure anyone recommended shishigashira here. Great cultivar IMO. If my neighbors haven't confused my maples for weed yet, the shishi will convince them. Trident maple is a must have as well if you're into maples.

There are lots of other species that are great for bonsai. I enjoy working with elms, and many have such tiny leaves that they are just begging to be bonsaied. I would suggest giving Chinese and Seiju elms a try.

Choosing material to start with is a bit of an art in itself and is very subjective. For me, seeds and saplings are simply too long a process. Were it not for my "older" trees, I wouldn't have the patience to grow seedlings. The seedlings are a lot more fun for me when I have actual trees. That said, Evergreen Garden Works is a great place for seedlings.

I would highly recommend Green Thumb Bonsai. He's got a bunch of field grown trees (maples, azaleas, elms etc.) that have been growing for a number of years with bonsai in mind. Check out his site. John's a good guy as well and many of the trees have good starting calipers. I've purchased a number of trees from him and have been very satisfied. A larger caliper trident, for example, will set you back about $250, but it will have a 2+ inch trunk and put you about 10 years ahead of where you'd be with the seedlings.

Please hit me up when the Deshojo are ready.
John is cool guy. I’m actually ordering something from him at the moment. Will drive up there in couple weeks to check out others

Top Bottom