Where to even begin? *New maple

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
I recently recieved this, what I believe to be, dwarf prebonsai maple from Neil Dellinger(A+ seller, polite, and by far some of the best tree packaging I've seen..).
I've only had it about a week and already the wheels are turning, but in every direction.
As you can see, there is A LOT going on. I'm not really sure where to begin. I'm going to take the winter to really think this one through, it has a great base and I think a lot of potential so I want to do it right. Any ideas fellow bnuts?
Dwarf_Maple (1 of 7).jpgDwarf_Maple (2 of 7).jpgDwarf_Maple (3 of 7).jpgDwarf_Maple (4 of 7).jpgDwarf_Maple (5 of 7).jpg
Sorry for the pictures, with this weather I had to resort to using the painting studio. Ah, and as far as I can tell at this point, I think the first shot is going to be what I'd consider the front.
Thanks!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice stock! Do you know the cultivar name. The trunk(s) seem to offer many possiblities, but I would really need to see the nebari with the trunk before making any suggestions. Good luck with it.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you! I shot Neil an email asking about the cultivar. I'm really not sure. He mentioned pinkish foliage in the spring.
I'm going to cut down that pot tonight and expose the base a little.

*New pictures taken.
I think this gives a much better idea of the over shape of the tree.
The part that is really throwing me is the irregularly straight bit right in the middle.
The top down shot is from the "front"(first) picture.
Dwarf_Maple_2 (1 of 6).jpgDwarf_Maple_2 (2 of 6).jpgDwarf_Maple_2 (3 of 6).jpgDwarf_Maple_2 (4 of 6).jpgDwarf_Maple_2 (6 of 6).jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks like it'll be great fun! Is that straight part to big to bend and get a bit of movement? happy new tree!

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Judy!
That straight part happens to be the thickest of the trunks. While yes, I can get a little movement out of it with force of hand, I'm not sure how I would even attempt to move it without.
I'm thinking that this may be a project that requires chopping back all the trunks to within an inch or two of the main trunk and grow it out from there.
I'm excited to see how this comes along.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'd def. get better taper if you took them back, looks like some of them can just go back to a side branch. Looks like a fast grower.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
dwarf_1.jpg
You're right.
Here's what I'm thinking ultimately. It may take a few years but I think it will be worth the wait. I won't really know how reasonable this is until the spring though, not really sure about the growth rate at this point.
Thanks for the advice Judy :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gonna take mighty long time in Michigan.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks like a good direction on the virt, keep us updated...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh I suppose it's not...but still. lol -- By the way, that is a really nice virt. Good eye! Did you ever find out what cultivar this is? If it's a dwarf variety, it might indeed take quite a while to finish...but it'll be worth it.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh I suppose it's not...but still. lol

Haha. I think everyone here has this general feeling.

I did not find out the cultivar. I am only judging by the very short internode length and the small branching that it is a dwarf, we'll have to wait and see.
I am half hoping it is(they're beautiful) and half hoping it isn't(they grow so slow).
Thanks for the kind words!

Top Bottom