Where to find bonsai pots

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do people like Walter find the big shallow oval pots they use for their big trees? I have 2 large maples that I need pots but it seems like I can find a 20 inch plus pot that’s not 5-6 inches deep.

Thanks!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Where do people like Walter find the big shallow oval pots they use for their big trees? I have 2 large maples that I need pots but it seems like I can find a 20 inch plus pot that’s not 5-6 inches deep.

Thanks!
Commission the pot to be made.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

Thanks!
Are you in the country or state? I would try and get one in person. Shipping would be spendy

but commissioned or find one at a show

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're after big pots like that, it's going to take luck or a commissioned pot. Bring cash, lots of it. Large pots are becoming harder to get.

Although Matt Ouwinga deals in higher end antique Japanese and CHinese pots, he has a fair number of larger imported Japanese pots that are relatively inexpensive (cheaper than a commission), but large pots like that are hard to import--they get broken in transit A LOT...Worth a spin through Matt's inventory though:

If you don't have $1,500 or more to spend, forget where Walter gets his big ones. He has high end pots from "name" European makers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're after big pots like that, it's going to take luck or a commissioned pot. Bring cash, lots of it. Large pots are becoming harder to get.

Although Matt Ouwinga deals in higher end antique Japanese and CHinese pots, he has a fair number of larger imported Japanese pots that are relatively inexpensive (cheaper than a commission), but large pots like that are hard to import--they get broken in transit A LOT...Worth a spin through Matt's inventory though:

If you don't have $1,500 or more to spend, forget where Walter gets his big ones. He has high end pots from "name" European makers.
Oh, and many of those pots are commissioned not off-the-shelf.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sarah Rayner works with pots that big. She's got 23" inch oval on her website at $595 or so. I'd see if she could commission one for you. It's not that hard of a process, and you get a better fit.

One more--prettier IMO

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also be aware the "height" number is often total height and not inside number. Their 2 1/2" might only be 1 1/2" actual depth. Personally would also suggest commissioning one so can get exact desired size and have artistic help from pot maker to match particular tree😌.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're pockets don't run that deep, like mine, and you just want some large containers you might consider Korean mica pots from Wigerts Bonsai in Ft. Myers, FL. I bought several large containers from bonsaipotconnection, also in Florida. Very nice imported Chinese containers/pots and I still have both my arms and legs.

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sarah Rayner works with pots that big. She's got 23" inch oval on her website at $595 or so. I'd see if she could commission one for you. It's not that hard of a process, and you get a better fit.

One more--prettier IMO
Those are gorgeous. Thanks!

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're pockets don't run that deep, like mine, and you just want some large containers you might consider Korean mica pots from Wigerts Bonsai in Ft. Myers, FL. I bought several large containers from bonsaipotconnection, also in Florida. Very nice imported Chinese containers/pots and I still have both my arms and legs.
Wigerts is where I have been getting mine. And I don’t have any that are finished enough for a nice pot. I was just looking To see pricing!
wigerts is good. Thanks!

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other option is to take a slab-building pottery class. It might be cheaper.
I actually married an art major who’s mom is a retired art teacher and come to think of it, I took 3 pottery classes during the courting phase!😉

heck, I might be in business already!!! 😂

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
I actually married an art major who’s mom is a retired art teacher and come to think of it, I took 3 pottery classes during the courting phase!😉

heck, I might be in business already!!! 😂
May be substantially lucrative!
You would have a ready made market in here!😜

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who's that dude from FB that came here once to tell us about that alleged thief from the East Coast, the dude who ass dialed me once, he may have some stuff like that, and seemingly, very pointy glutes.

Sorce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Given your location have you tried Plant City Bonsai?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Given your location have you tried Plant City Bonsai?
Actually I think Bonsai by the Monastery in Conyers has a better selection than PCB
but sometimes those specialty ones are not necessarily in a better selection setting.

@dlayton search etsy.com you'd be surprised at some of the offerings.
If you could possibly do a 15" there's a handsome plastic forest training pot for $19.99
and ClatBonsaiPots on etsy has a 15-3/4" oval ceramic fired to 1100ºF whatever cone that is for $74.99

here's an unglazed 22" oval

talk to @mwar15 about making a hybrid pot

Top Bottom