Where to find deadwood material?

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, I was wondering if there is a known source for interesting deadwood for doing a tanuki. I have a Japanese yew with a pretty skinny trunk that I don't think I want to wait 20 years to get to a decent size. So I thought maybe if I could find a really nice piece of wood, I could merge the two. I don't have a fabulous twisty juniper that bit the dust and haven't seen any good deadwood around that would work. Is there some place that sells pieces or maybe a suggestion to look for collecting material (northern California)? Thanks,
Mary B.

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mary B.

Andy Smith used to sell snags on his web site-Golden Arrow Bonsai. Not sure if he still has it listed though, you can send him an e-mail to check.

Tom

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if drift wood would work (after some soaking to remove salt). The Oregon coast has tons of great drift wood in places, might be some on the California coast.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just go up to the Tahoe Nat. Forest in the Cisco Grove area and hike around. You'll find plenty. You might need a firewood permit to bring it home legally.

Paul

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A large size aquarium store, (there should be plenty in your neck of the woods) sell all sorts of deadwood snags for underwater use, reptile use and bird use. I have seeen some very awesome branches that would make beautiful tanuki. They be pretty pricy though and finding your own may be a better bet.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All excellent suggestions, which I hadn't thought of. I lean towards the Cisco Grove trip. A pleasant picnic in the mountains, hiking around looking at trees and deadwood, maybe dinner in Tahoe plus a little gambling, all sounds pretty darn good. Thanks fellas!
Mary B.

Top Bottom