Where to find inexpensive Pumice?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I use 100% pumice for collected material, 1/3 pumice in my standard soil mix and 100% pumice as my drainage layer. I think it's a fantastic growing medium and would like as many Bonsai Enthusiasts that are interested in using it to have access. I've purchased from these two locations. Anyone else have an inexpensive source?

Air Vol Block-
$105/yard, $7/bucket or $4.99/50 pound bag
805-543-1314
1 Suburban Rd.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
www.airvolblock.com

American Soil and Stone-
$55/yard
Call this number first: 510-292-3000
Then pick it up here:
689 Bancroft
Berkeley, CA
www.americansoil.com

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome price...I pay about $46 per cubic foot for it right now (because of shipping). :mad:

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in the same boat as Dario -- the net price is astronomically high primarily due to shipping costs.
Would love to find a local, inexpensive distributor of pumice in the mid-atlantic.

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was on my way to check out American Soil And Stone in a couple of weeks, the one in San Rafael. But our cars small. Do they only sell by the yard? No bags?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For comparison...Wee Tree sells pallets of 50 bags of pumice for $337. That works out to $6.74 per bag. The bags are 1 cu ft which I think they said was 40 pounds. The problem is shipping cost. I obtained a quote to ship a pallet to me in Rochester (they are in Oregon) and the shipping cost would have been about $400...making the total cost $737 which works out to about $15 per bag. Though obviously much more expensive than the cost to pick it up from places in California, it's still not out of line with the cost of other components (akadama, for example) here in the east.

Unfortunately I do not need that much and haven't been able to find people who would want to split an order, or I might go ahead and order a pallet. For whatever reason, no one carries pumice locally, not even dry stall.

Chris

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For whatever reason, no one carries pumice locally, not even dry stall.

Chris

There was a soil vendor at ABS in Saratoga last Fall. I bought a few bags of pumice from him. Good particle size and good price. Maybe someone here will have his contact info.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a soil vendor at ABS in Saratoga last Fall. I bought a few bags of pumice from him. Good particle size and good price. Maybe someone here will have his contact info.
How did the price compare to the approximately $15/bag for 1 cu ft bags shipped from WeeTree?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I tried earlier guys, but shipping is the killer unless you sell in bulk like wee tree that gets fantastic shipping rates.

Top Bottom