Where to get black pine seedlings

FredBW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have somewhat looked in the archives and didn't really see a 'go to" place to get them.
Looking around i see all Black pines are not created equal. I see them on amazon and etsy fairly cheap. But I would rather have some sort of reliable quality.
I am tempted to get one fro eastern leaf,and or seeds for that matter.
Just looking into seedlings to maybe put in the ground to develop a couple few years .

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Lotus Bonsai in CA has some, as should Meehan's Miniatures in Maryland. I didn't buy yet though, so I can't tell you if it's a good deal or not.

Growing from seed might be a good project,I'm considering it myself.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd try Julian Adams, Adamsbonsai.com - curious what other vendors get mentioned.

Good luck,
B

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have somewhat looked in the archives and didn't really see a 'go to" place to get them.
Looking around i see all Black pines are not created equal. I see them on amazon and etsy fairly cheap. But I would rather have some sort of reliable quality.
Just looking into seedlings to maybe put in the ground to develop a couple few years .
If your patient our own @cmeg1 may have another batch coming up soon. His JBP seedlings are top quality.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah I agree with @19Mateo83 if you want something small. They are top quality and will burst with size more then other suppliers for sure. They are seedling cuttings and start life with radial roots.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I heard a lot of bad reviews from Eastern leaf, a member previously posted one that had horrible inverse taper at the base like a leg after you take off a cast

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seeds are fun if u can find some to start your own. I snagged mine at the beginning of autumn cuz they're known to sell out fast.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got one as a freebie from @Pitoon when I ordered my Nippon Daisies. Surprisingly, because I know nothing about them, it's still doing fine.

FredBW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. Left coast Bonsai sounds like the way to go. I could get 3 or 4.............or 5:)
I am new at this,so I wasn't after anything too elaborate. Black pine probably isn't the perfect tree to start out with. But I'm 62 and might as well go for the gusto.
I have been reading all I can since last fall,and they really have sparked my interest.
Hopefully I won't buy 30 trees before spring when i have to tend to my cactus addiction.:D

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some 3yrs old still available if you're interested.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the replies. Left coast Bonsai sounds like the way to go. I could get 3 or 4.............or 5:)
I am new at this,so I wasn't after anything too elaborate. Black pine probably isn't the perfect tree to start out with. But I'm 62 and might as well go for the gusto.
I have been reading all I can since last fall,and they really have sparked my interest.
Hopefully I won't buy 30 trees before spring when i have to tend to my cactus addiction.:D
Cmeg when he has them in stock, will have the best nebari you can find due to grow cubes and the highest quality plant material on the market due to the growing methods. Hands down, it's not even close.

If you can't wait, left coast bonsai does good seedlings too, quality seedlings. Grown in a plug so you'll need to address the roots ASAP, but excellent customer service and the trees grow great, I have a bunch.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely, if you want to start right, @cmeg1 is the way to go. You will not find anyone, and I really mean anyone out there that will outmatch his JBP seedlings on the market. They are started the right way, seedling cuttings and grown on inorganic matter. Then they are grown under CO2 fertilization, which pushes them to grow. The seedlings I got from him this Spring are bigger than the seedlings I received in spring 2021 from another seller.

This is a clump of 7 seedlings from Curtis.

August 2021
1671376743230.jpeg
June 2022
1671376182606.jpeg

FredBW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to have so many options. But I can't figure out how to PM (personal message) someone.
I tried the "start conversation" tab. But it tells me to contact an administrator. With no contact link.
What am I missing?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice to have so many options. But I can't figure out how to PM (personal message) someone.
I tried the "start conversation" tab. But it tells me to contact an administrator. With no contact link.
What am I missing?
Probably you don't have enough posts to enable PMs. Most sites have a set number of posts you need before you have full access to the forum features.

Top Bottom