Where to get bonsai material?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The laceleaf cost me 3 bucks and the baldy was 30 so there are things to be found at your local nursery scrap heap 😁
Agreed.. it’s where i’ve found MANY a decent specimen.. the “ugly” ones... tucked back

Or Fall bonanzas.. all stuffed up front. 🤓

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

I did neglect to say I have purchased from International Bonsai (W. Valavanis) and Kaedebonsai (M. Ouwinga) and yes, I highly recommend these two sources too. I tend to keep repeating my mentions of Meehan's, Evergreen Gardenworks, and Wigerts, but I do not mean to neglect International Bonsai and Kaede Bonsai.

There are many good vendors out there. Just keep shopping. Kaedebonsai and IB tend to be seasonal in their offerings. Bare root seedlings are generally only offered in winter and spring. This is because this low cost method of selling trees for bonsai is only possible at these times of year. Do make certain you check out their late winter offerings.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All shapes bonsai is in NJ and they have a good selection and a lot of stuff at good prices for someone getting their feet wet. It’s in Ringoes NJ, look it up

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Fantastic trees in my opinion. I think they're more popular as landscape trees in Europe. My yard is full sun almost everywhere and the delicate maples burn up. This guy stays in full sun even through July/August without issue.
We call them Field Maple = Acer campestre here in England They are a common native tree used a lot in hedges - Almost indestructable and nice autumn colours in a good year

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
And, I repeat my advice: wait for a while before you attempt the “fun Japanese/Chinese” varieties. They often require specialized techniques to master. Whereas, you’re a beginner, you need to learn the basics first. Stick to Japanese Maples, Trident maples, elms, shimpaku, and JBP. There’s plenty of challenge in those trees, and they’re easy to obtain. Once you have demonstrated you can be successful with those, then move on to the more difficult species.

It’s like how you must learn basic arithmetic before learning algebra before learning calculus. One step at a time.
Yeah I have trident maples , field , and other maple seeds I have started so I can get lots of practice with them . Also I have 4 Shimpaku I’m waiting to style because I got them from a few states away . Do you think a crabapple will be easy or hard for a beginner?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For Japanese White Pine bonsai I found this site, but I don't believe they ship to the Americas.
If you click on the little flag at the top right of the page it will bring up the countries they do ship to
and will estimate shipping in your cart for that specific country.

Sooo, anybody got any similar online places that do ship to USA for JWP? Traveling just isn't much of an option
during Winter/COVID combination for me yet, and the prices above, really aren't that bad.
Listed from high to low pricing as you scroll.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey NJ, saw you on .99cent bonsai auction site. Good site for sure. As the name implies it's for lower end (price-wise) pots and plants. If your pockets run a little deeper and for bigger and better, more advanced stock, check out bonsai auction, too.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have gotten a few here

Dasu Bonsai. It looks like the website isn’t loading properly today. I did send a message to let him know.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey NJ, saw you on .99cent bonsai auction site. Good site for sure. As the name implies it's for lower end (price-wise) pots and plants. If your pockets run a little deeper and for bigger and better, more advanced stock, check out bonsai auction, too.
Yeah I bid on a couple things but ended up not getting anything yet . I figured I can just spend money because I’m a person who doesn’t want to spend anything

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For Japanese White Pine bonsai I found this site, but I don't believe they ship to the Americas.
If you click on the little flag at the top right of the page it will bring up the countries they do ship to
and will estimate shipping in your cart for that specific country.

Sooo, anybody got any similar online places that do ship to USA for JWP? Traveling just isn't much of an option
during Winter/COVID combination for me yet, and the prices above, really aren't that bad.
Listed from high to low pricing as you scroll.
Don't expect any party from Europe to ship to the US. The US fines are insane compared to the European ones, and the Europeans usually fine only the receiver and not both the receiver and the sender.

Esveld.nl does provide phytosanitation reports upon ordering from them, but those are EU reports only. I don't know if these are stricter than US reports or not, but it's worth asking about.

Top Bottom