Where to get cheap bonsai post ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For every 3 cheap pots you buy, you'll end up wanting that one good one you could've had.

If you want cheap, make them yourself with concrete, wood, or plastic. Hell, make them free.

Cheap pots will look ugly and serve to remind you of your poor purchases.

Free homemade pots will look just as ugly but remind you of your intelligence.

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is Sam Miller still on fire on FB?

There's a "cheap" that's worth the $!

Sorce
Yes, I see a lot of Sam's pots. I never get any because they're almost always sold (bin) before I see them.
Get this under your belt: bonsai pots are not cheap! The, "you get what you pay for" rule definitely applies.
Training pots can be inexpensive and very useable. Korean mica pots allowed me to get some of my bigger trees potted (large ceramic pots are very expensive!). Look to Wigerts Bonsai Nursery for a wide selection.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsai pots are not cheap!
And in the case that they are, you're not saving the cost of a prized tree when the pot falls apart and leaves it exposed to the elements, or you get a glaze shird in your hand, or worse, in a child's hand (under 13 sober).

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, let's cut to the chase and answer the question. In a word, China, particularly, Yixsing. Look for Chinese production ware. Cheeeeap! OMG! Like a set of four unglazed rectangle pots for about $35 bucks. Three are fairly nice, one is very nice and one is so ugly I almost dropped it when I unpacked it, then I wanted to hit it with a hammer! But, I flipped it over and put a tile on top and using it to elevate another tree, which is also in a very nice glazed Yixsing pot. They do make some very nice high quality wares, but you asked for cheap and that is the bottom end of the scale. Beware! Pics are highly deceptive!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For every 3 cheap pots you buy, you'll end up wanting that one good one you could've had.

If you want cheap, make them yourself with concrete, wood, or plastic. Hell, make them free.

Cheap pots will look ugly and serve to remind you of your poor purchases.

Free homemade pots will look just as ugly but remind you of your intelligence.

Sorce

Huzzah!!!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I wholeheartedly agree, in regards to the op's original question, you've jumped the fence into another realm. That's the American artist ware and a departure from 'cheap' by all accounts. Or European for that matter. Most of what is offered is, may I say, dinky. Tiny little things. Gorgeous! Excellent works! And four and a half by three inches! And selling like hotcakes fresh off the gridle! I'm like, what are all you people doing with all these dinky pots? I'm potting up tens and twelves and a lot of fifteen to twenty inch pots. You wanna talk cheap, forget about it! There's nothing cheap in artisan wares. The bigger the more! I highly support the artisan community both here and abroad and totally cherish the works of art I have acquired so far, none of which were cheap! LoL

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[Hack, I think those are great prices for high fired pots. I've bought some junk which can't take our winter. I'm book marking it. $18 and $38 seems very reasonable. The OP needs frost proof in NY

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was actually looking for a small cascade pot. Now I don't need to ask.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ran across these shopping for wire. I do not own any. They fit the request of the OP and I thought they look reasonable. I do agree with @sorce and others that you generally get what you pay for although sometimes you just need a few cheap starter pots.

Top Bottom