Where to get itoigawa Shinpaku?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve been looking and saw that itoigawa Shinpaku is a good variety. Where online can I get itoigawa juniper for less than $50 ?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
*shimpaku

You might be able to get a seedling on etsy for that. Maybe ebay too, but dont expect much for under 50$

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
*shimpaku

You might be able to get a seedling on etsy for that. Maybe ebay too, but dont expect much for under 50$
I thought it was shinpaku since there is no m in Japanese but when pronouncing it with an h (shin-haku) it makes an m sound but most people write Shimpaku.
But anyways I will check and hopefully find something okay or something I can use for cuttings and develop for years

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Pretty sure thats how its written, but phonetically you may be right, I dont speak japanese!

If you are looking just for cuttings, your local garden center may have nursery stock that you can twist up real good once they strike.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Evergreengardenworks has shimpaku and Kishu in stock, but no Itoigawa. Theres really not a huge difference so id say go for the kishu or standard shimpaku

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OP is correct; It is shiNpaku. Typed (s-h-i-n-n-p-a-k-u) on a Japanese keyboard. Unfortunately the old Hepburn Japanese system decided to romanize any (n)-sound followed my a bilabial consonant with by changing the n to an m. People still spell it this way because it for a relatively brief time was the status quo.

You see it all over. 新宿=Shinjuku , but 新橋=Shimbashi (with an m) but only sometimes. This extinct rule of romanization is used about as often as it is ignored.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remember my advice about joining a bonsai club and helping members with their trees? Here’s another good thing. Trees get pruned when they’re styled. And shinpaku juniper grows easily from cuttings. So, the discarded branches from pruning get stuck in so soil, and with a bit of aftercare, you can have a new tree.

Also, I’d start with Kishu rather than Itoigawa. It’s less “touchy”. I have both, but really, I prefer Kishu, so that’s what I use when I graft shinpaku onto other junipers.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yikes! If they sell for that price, my retirement plan is growing in my back yard right now and I’m gonna be fine.
One thing I've learned this year is that the price of material varies wildly but is usually on the high side. Unless you know somebody in which case you can get stuff for a steal. Very little middle ground!

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’ve been looking and saw that itoigawa Shinpaku is a good variety. Where online can I get itoigawa juniper for less than $50 ?
99cent bonsai auction group on Facebook will have some from time to time. I just got one but after shipping it came out to $48. As is often the case I believe Adair is right. Kishu is a hardier variety in my limited experience, and doesn’t revert to juvenile foliage as easily. The itoigawa foliage is quite beautiful though.

Last edited:

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
99cent bonsai auction group will have some from time to time. I just got one but after shipping it came out to $48. As is often the case I believe Adair is right. Kishu is a hardier variety in my limited experience, doesn’t revert to juvenile foliage as easily. The itoigawa is quite beautiful though.
I tried to get a iotagawa from a lady on 99cent but she sold number 1 which I wanted

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have Shimpaku and Kishu shimpaku cuttings rooted. I will most likely pot them up this winter and they should be ready in spring.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also have Old Gold cuttings well rooted and wired up.

Top Bottom