Where to get maple material?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi I’m thinking that I should start growing some maple trees and develop them so they can be something one day ! Where can I get maple stuff ?

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are looking for Acer palmatum then try out the wholesale Japanese maple nurseries in your region. They start seedlings for grafting and often have “#2” trees that would make good bonsai.

FYI if you call a wholesale nursery with these requests they will tell you to GTFO, but if you just show up with cash money they will probably cut you a deal to make you go away...

...at least that is how it works in Oregon.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dont buy a Bloodgood variety that is very common in the NY area. They have large leaves and internodes and only make for very large bonsai.

You can sometimes find good bonsai varieties at nurseries. otherwise, you can search for maple nuseries online.

Also Evergreen Gardenworks and International Bonsai sell bundles of seedlings.
International Bonsai takes orders starting in the winter for spring delivery
Evergreen Gardenworks usually has plants available in the late winter, spring.

Dystopics

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've found a solid source of varieties on etsy. Mikes Plants on Etsy, sourced in New York, has been probably the best option for variety for me so far. They ARE grafts, but give how well japanese maples take to airlayering, i'm not particularly chuffed about it. Great option if you more varieties, downside is its not being sold or treated as a prebonsai, which is reflected in what you get. 2-3/4" x 6" pots, with the trees being around 12" tall. I've got a few that i'm growing out, and a couple I'm air layering come spring.

Top Bottom