Where to go from here - Shimpaku Juniper

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've had this guy for a year now. It is a Hurricane Harvey survivor that is showing some decent new growth. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I forgot to get a photo of the back/side so I included one from when I first got this over a year ago. The back and side branch are both very long. The side branch has some growth at the base, which I'm happy about, but not sure if I should keep the entire branch right now, or just get rid of it? The back branch is what is rough. It has some new new growth on it, but only with the foliage at the end. Nothing near the base/trunk. What should I do with that back branch? Any ideas?

Also, the foliage has gotten kind of pale over the past two months, but looks like some new buds showing up. Is this normal for Shimpaku?

IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg

Older photo to show the back branch:
IMG_0435.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Be really careful about eliminating too much foliage off a juniper. It is far better to let it grow out like a mop... and cut it back, than to cut it back... and hope it pushes out new growth. Right now it looks a little lean on the foliage side for major work. Cleaning up and refinement wiring would be fine - but major pruning of branches would be too much.

As far as your other question, yes in the winter junipers change colors.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Check for spider mites. The color and time of year are right for it. Shake a branch over a piece of paper and look for tiny bugs. They’re tough to eliminate.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Be really careful about eliminating too much foliage off a juniper. It is far better to let it grow out like a mop... and cut it back, than to cut it back... and hope it pushes out new growth. Right now it looks a little lean on the foliage side for major work. Cleaning up and refinement wiring would be fine - but major pruning of branches would be too much.

As far as your other question, yes in the winter junipers change colors.

Definitely no major work. I may do some minor wiring, just to get an idea of what I want. I just don't know what to do with those two lower branches.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Check for spider mites. The color and time of year are right for it. Shake a branch over a piece of paper and look for tiny bugs. They’re tough to eliminate.

Checked for spider mites this afternoon and nothing, but keeping an eye on it for sure.

Top Bottom