Where to keep Ume during winter

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

Just want to know for those that live up north.. (southern Ontario, Canada... Zone 5-6)..where do you guys house yorr Ume or ume cuttings?

1. Greenhouse (heated) to what temp?
2. Greenhouse (cold frame unheated)?
3. In the garage by the wall?
4. Inside the house?

My budget is a bit tight right now, just want to make sure my ume cutting survives this winter... It still have its green leaves...

Thank you

Jun

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
According to Phillips and Rix's ''Shrubs'', Prunus mume is hardy to -15C ( 5F) (as a tree in the ground) Potted specimens will need higher temps. I would guess around - 5 or 7C. ( 20 ish F )

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Given the options, I’d probably keep it in the garage. Mine sits outside year-round, unless the flower buds are swelling/blooming and it’s below freezing outside. After blooming, it stays outside regardless of the temperature.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a tough question, because everyone will have a different answer, based on their experience. I try to keep mine at 40F. It gets colder than that in my garage, of course, but I monitor the temperature very closely.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given the options, I’d probably keep it in the garage. Mine sits outside year-round, unless the flower buds are swelling/blooming and it’s below freezing outside. After blooming, it stays outside regardless of the temperature.

Would you keep it the same way as a dormant Pine? without lights? but don't let it dry out?

Thank you

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a tough question, because everyone will have a different answer, based on their experience. I try to keep mine at 40F. It gets colder than that in my garage, of course, but I monitor the temperature very closely.

I know there is a guy in Quebec, which is zone 4-5...he has his 4 umes in a greenhouse amongst his azaleas...always between 5-10 Degree Celsius.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
IF trees are stored at temperatures below 40 F or 4 C, it has been shown that the tree's metabolism is low enough that conifers may be stored in total darkness. Energy consumption below 40 F, 4C, won't harm a healthy tree, even over a 4 month dormancy.

Warmer than 40 F or 4 C, metabolism is high enough that conifers may benefit from having light available. It is also warm enough that some species will begin growth as soon as their chill requirements to break dormancy are met.

Those 2 factoids about metabolism should help determine your storage choices.

Chill requirements are different for every species. JBP requires relatively few hours of chill. JBP requires warmth to "wake up", mine doesn't seem to get going until a week or more of daytime highs over 78 F or 25C.

Ume, I suspect does not need a lengthy dormancy. How long, I don't know.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It's getting close to 0 degree Celsius.. I brought the cutting in the garage... I bought a new full spectrum led grow light for it. Here is a photo of it... Let me know if I am making any mistakes.... I am thinking about buying those tiny glass greenhouse that walmart or ikea sells here in Canada.

I Also placed it half way in a pot...

The reason I didn't bring it inside the house is it gets super dry during winter inside my house.

Thank you

JZ

IMG_20181005_195216.jpg

Top Bottom