Where to obtain decent Shimpaku stock in the Portland area.

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all, I am new to bonsai and have purchased a few small ten dollar starter plants. I am however interested in having something to work with now, and not in 5 years. Here is a picture of a nice little Shimpaku that one day might become a decent bonsai.

DSC_0506.jpg

This is sort of where I am at right now in my progression as a bonsai artist. A bunch of little trees in the ground.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in the area can direct me to some Shimpaku stock a little more substantial. I know I could try my hand turning these little cheap trees into Shohin and honestly if this is the route I should take as a beginner I can accept that.

bonsaitodd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Depending on how much you want to spend, but Telperion farm has good stocks for a god price.
http://www.telfarms.com/
You will have to email him for pics.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Alkaid,
We're just down the road, 22 miles east of Salem.
Have a couple hundred shimpaku in various sizes and stages of development.
Come for a visit.
Email me at tfarms@wvi.com
Or, call the cell 503-881-1147.DSC_0551.jpgDSC_0563.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is sort of where I am at right now in my progression as a bonsai artist. A bunch of little trees in the ground.

A really good start, though :) Every year when I clean up my trees in the Fall, I take a couple of small trays of cuttings. I always end up with five or six nice small shimpaku that I pot up. It is amazing how many shimpaku you can end up with if you keep striking cuttings from them every year :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Capnk what else do you specialize in?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to bonsai and have purchased a few small ten dollar starter plants. I am however interested in having something to work with now, and not in 5 years. Here is a picture of a nice little Shimpaku that one day might become a decent bonsai.

View attachment 24669

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in the area can direct me to some Shimpaku stock a little more substantial. I know I could try my hand turning these little cheap trees into Shohin and honestly if this is the route I should take as a beginner I can accept that.

If you had started your thread last week I would have directed you to last Tuesday's meeting with the BSOP. Basically it was a swap meeting which means people brought 100+ trees in all stages, pots etc for sale. Things were seriously dirt cheap. Nice tree in pots for less than what the pot is worth. Anyway, if you are serious about getting some shimpaku, just get in touch with me because I still have a few for sale. Just send me a pm and I'll send you some pictures with prices. BTW I'm in SE Portland. Now sure where you are located.

Manny

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
jkd2572,
Our most developed stock includes Japanese black pine, Scots pine, shore pine, Japanese maples, trident maples, Chinese elms, Korean hornbeam, ume, Japanese quince, and Japanese larch. Other things in development.
Thanks for asking.
Capnk

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks everyone for the great leads. I should have some nice stock to work with in no time.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
You may also want to contact Ryan Neil and Michael Hagedorn, as well as Randy Knight (if you have the cash of course).

Top Bottom