Where to purchase Diatomaceous earth...large particles

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Does anyone know where I can purchase Diatomaceous earth in 1/8-1/4" particles. It may be call horticultural type. I can't find it anywhere. Thank you!

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Try searching for axis DE. I think that's the branding for what you're looking for. All the web stores I found were on the west coast so maybe one is near you.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It has been recommended
What are the suposed capabilities of diatomaceous earth?
DE has been recommended by Ryan as a replacement for Akadama. I watched a Maria video. You question is answered in the video

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I think most of us know why we use it.
akadama is harder and more expensive to get. If that weren’t the case, I’d use akadama.
DE is a readily available substitute. I also use calcined clay as a component in the mix. Of course I could mail order akadama at a premium, but the substitute is so easy to acquire.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think most of us know why we use it.
akadama is harder and more expensive to get. If that weren’t the case, I’d use akadama.
DE is a readily available substitute. I also use calcined clay as a component in the mix. Of course I could mail order akadama at a premium, but the substitute is so easy to acquire.
Sorry, I am not a rich man by any means, but I don't agree with easy and cheap as being part of the solution here.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's about Cation exchange points..

It's helpful to understand the physical properties of your roots... As WELL as the physical properties of the substrates which hold/deliver..

I swear by DE...

If I had Pumice.. I'd trade for DE..

If you get "Top Bags".. your ratio of coarser material will be better..

Ask the Napa guys to set aside top bags.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sorry, I am not a rich man by any means, but I don't agree with easy and cheap as being part of the solution here.
Hmmm.... is there something you find extra special about DE? If money is not a worry, why not order a highly regarded substrate like boon mix and be done?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm.... is there something you find extra special about DE? If money is not a worry, why not order a highly regarded substrate like boon mix and be done?
I bet Akadama is cheap.. when you live by a mine.

🥸

I believe we "overthink" the reason it is expensive.

Top Bottom