Where to sell valuable trees with seller and buyer protection

Ambientone

Seedling
Reaction score
I know about the FB auctions, but I don’t feel comfortable putting trees worth over 1k on there. Are there any legitimate bonsai sales websites that I should check?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate. And if you give me your home address in a private conversation, I may relieve you of some of your trees. Problem solved!😈

Ambientone

Seedling
Reaction score
If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate. And if you give me your home address in a private conversation, I may relieve you of some of your trees. Problem solved!😈
I am in Oregon.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
High end trees usually sell privately between buyer and seller. There’s a network. The really good trees are never marketed on the open market. Established bonsai artists sometimes post their inventory, but for private collectors, the Facebook auctions is probably the best way to sell over the internet.

At the major shows, for example, the Nationals or the big bonsai conventions, there are vendors selling high end trees. You might be able to get a vendor to put a couple of your trees on their table on consignment.

But really, the best way is to find a buyer using your connections.

Or, become a vendor yourself, and get a table at a major show.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, in Oregon, contact Ryan Neil, or Michael Hagedorn to see if they either want your trees to resell, or if they know of anyone looking to aquire trees of your caliber. If so, and they find a buyer, pay them a commission.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a facebook page, Bonsai Appraisals, where you can post your trees, and get feedback about how much they’re worth. You might even get an offer. Or not.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think there are lots of clubs in O and Washington. Enter your city as your location here, and google bonsai clubs in Oregon.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think there are lots of clubs in O and Washington. Enter your city as your location here, and google bonsai clubs in Oregon.
Clubs do hold auctions as fundraisers, but my experience is people are “looking for a bargain” at them. Those same people in a private meeting may very well pay up fir a nice tree, but they don’t want to be seen paying a lot in public at an auction.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M is right.

Generally the best way to sell a high end tree is to get to know a professional artist, and then offer a commission for them to serve as intermediary in the sale of your tree. I know of 3 different "bonsai professionals" that travel through Milwaukee for workshops and such that often will have a folder of photos, and will arrange sales for clients that are interested in collecting higher end trees. I'm not naming names because I'm not certain they want it "known". But the best network is the traveling bonsai artist.

Unfortunately, right now nobody is travelling. At least the Covid-19 vaccine should be in distribution soon. Maybe by sumer 2021 bonsai artists will be travelling again.

Top Bottom