Where to start with kusamono?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Curious if this ground has been trod before and if I'm missing a broad and general kusamono thread... if not, everyone, feel free to pile on with other questions or chitchat!

I know absolutely zero about kusamono, and I'm curious as to where to start. Are they plants you tend to keep permanently, or are they more gathered from the environment for a brief appearance? Honestly, I have a few pots I'd like to put some things in >_>

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There is a kusamono forum here: https://www.bonsainut.com/forums/accent-plants.27/

I probably have more completed kusamono than bonsai. I collect ferns, horsetail and other interesting riverbank plants when I'm out fishing and stuff 'em in my waders. I also have a few friends with nurseries in town and they tip me off to good small-pot prospects. Latest idea-brain pickup is conehead thyme, which looks like a mini-mini Sierra juniper, rugged bark and everyhing.

You gotta look at (most of) your accents just like your bonsai: long-term projects. While some you may grow from seed every year (quaking grass, I love you), the majority should have a grown-in appearance for display.

If you have some pots that need using, collect some local plants, visit a nursery or order some terrestrial orchid bulbs.

I also recommend Kyuzo Murata's Four Seasons of Bonsai Paperback, which really turned my brain around on non-woody bonsai prospects and led me to plant more kusamono in the first place. It's also just a really nice picture book to be had on the cheap.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is a kusamono forum here: https://www.bonsainut.com/forums/accent-plants.27/

I probably have more completed kusamono than bonsai. I collect ferns, horsetail and other interesting riverbank plants when I'm out fishing and stuff 'em in my waders. I also have a few friends with nurseries in town and they tip me off to good small-pot prospects. Latest idea-brain pickup is conehead thyme, which looks like a mini-mini Sierra juniper, rugged bark and everyhing.

You gotta look at (most of) your accents just like your bonsai: long-term projects. While some you may grow from seed every year (quaking grass, I love you), the majority should have a grown-in appearance for display.

If you have some pots that need using, collect some local plants, visit a nursery or order some terrestrial orchid bulbs.

I also recommend Kyuzo Murata's Four Seasons of Bonsai Paperback, which really turned my brain around on non-woody bonsai prospects and led me to plant more kusamono in the first place. It's also just a really nice picture book to be had on the cheap.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed that, thank you!

Consider this thread answered, haha

Young Choe is considered one of the top Kusamono artists. Look up her work.
Will do!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And @Chuah wife Soon.

@TomB kills!

I think it's important that they make sense in a display.
Not high mountain flowers with BC.
Not bog plants with RMJ.

Good thing is almost everything local works if you keep local plants.

It's important, I believe, to utilize a still position to the sun to create a natural movement.

There is nothing more darling than the little ones reaching up.

Sorce

Top Bottom