Where to start with seedling plugs?

Seedlng

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a number of seedling plugs about 8-10 inches tall.

Eastern white pine and colorado blue spruce.
Not sure if these species good bonsai material though?

My plan was to field grow them for a few years then start training them.

Any thoughts or advice concerning these particular species would really help!
Anything I need to know about soil prep, feeding etc?
Will their roots being grown in a plug pot require any special treatment?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site?

Do you have a photo of the plugs? The plugs I have worked with in the past (from commercial growers) tend to have long roots that are all compressed together pointed straight down. What you would like to see for bonsai material is the exact opposite - the roots all radiating out from the base of the trunk in a pie shape or a fan - without a tap root.

Seedlng

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes im new here.
I can get some pictures tomorrow after work.
If these have the straight roots... Is there anything that can be done to get the desired effect?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eastern White Pine has a poor reputation as material, but doesnt mean you cant/shouldnt experiment with it. Be aware of long lanky branches, needles that remain very long, and slow bark development.

Spruces are generally good material to work with.

I agree with BNut regarding the roots. If you can get them radial and outward growing soon, that would be very important to developing a nice tree from these plugs.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have purchased larch plugs in the past and with them I cut back the root ball about 30% then planted them in shallow bulb pots. To prevent them from developing deep roots you can put a piece of plastic, plywood, tile under them so the roots will flare out instead of going deep. Of course I bought mine in the spring when they were just budding out and could take the root pruning treatment. Your results may vary as it is a bit later.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Colorado blue spruce make decent bonsai, especially as medium to larger size trees, over 12 inches tall or wide. Arrange the roots in a horizontal plane, like spokes of a wheel. Cut off any tap roots. They will need 5 or more years of growth before any bonsai work.

Eastern white pine do the same, though 10 years is more likely before bonsai styling. Eastern white pine have a very poor track record for becoming bonsai. Most fail. I suggest trying Pinus sylvestris, Scots pine, or mugo pine, or if you live in cold winter area, Jack pine. Warm winter area Japanese black pine. Forget eastern white, it will only frustrate your efforts.

Seedlng

Seedling
Reaction score
Heres a picture of the roots as promised.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 27

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a carrot.

Tough to tell how the roots are with the picture clarity, but it appears you can get at least some radial roots out of the plug. Id separate them and arrange them appropriately.

Top Bottom