Where to start with this parsons juniper?

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Parsons is just a guess at this point, feel free to correct me if that does not seem to be the correct species. I got this at a local auction a few months back, mostly just to wet my feet with larger material and to support the local club. The bottom sections were all covered in bark but about a month back I was able to reveal large portions of deadwood (there is likely more in there). That feature alone is very interesting, but to be honest I don’t know where to start training this tree. Perhaps this would be better suited to the beginners thread, but I was thinking this might require more intensive techniques such as grafting. The previous owner successfully grafted a small bit of itoigawa closer to the base but it is still rather small and weak. At any rate I would appreciate any insight into improving this tree that ya’ll can provide. Junipers don’t seem to be popular in my area and I haven’t met anyone who could provide more guidance in person.

Attachments

• F711E546-5BF4-4BEA-89AF-15BE60A6D148.jpeg
    F711E546-5BF4-4BEA-89AF-15BE60A6D148.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 3A103A95-9679-4B27-AD77-FFE695858EE3.jpeg
    3A103A95-9679-4B27-AD77-FFE695858EE3.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 122

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd start by contemplating what this material is best for.

Aimimg for "traditional" or "Bonsai" might not be the best use of the material.

For instance.....

Monetarily Alone...(which is cheap I know..but...)

As a bonsai this could fetch say 450 dollars.

Where as a Penjing it could fetch 4,500 dollars.

Translate $ into meaningful design and feelings. And there you have it.

This will be some kinda dope.

But ridiculous as a "traditional Bonsai'.

But dope as hell outside of it .

Sorce

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I prefer traditional design. My hopes were to finally have something that was a bit more than the glorified saplings I have in pots. That said monetary value is definitely worth considering as I would always love to have more money to fund the hobby. unfortunately I don’t really have a foothold on the concept of penjing, other than that they typically appear to be more sinuous and in more shallow containers. Those estimated sure make me feel better about getting cool material for less than $100 though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
All the branches have good movement except the one bolt upright straight branch on the center-right.

I don't know if this is parson's juniper, or just a variety of Juniperus chinensis (generic somewhat coarse Shimpaku) There appears to be a mix of scale foliage and needle foliage.

I can not believe there is nobody in the Austin Texas bonsai scene that is into junipers, you must have several experienced hands in the area that could help you with this. @markyscott is in Houston, but knows the Texas artists better than myself, who should we tag to help with this juniper?

A series of photos, taken against a plain background, preferably a white sheet, or black "combat cloth" as I heard it called by stage and TV camera operators. The photos should have the lens of the camera on the same plane as the rim of the pot. NOT looking down at the tree. The rim of the pot needs to be at eye level. Need as a minimum 4 views, front, left, back & right. From these you can get better advise from BNut. members.

Seriously, ask around the bonsai society again, I'm sure someone in Austin is turning out decent looking junipers, from whom you could get live in person help.

Top Bottom