Where to start?

AverageBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have always adored Bonsai Trees but never knew where to start. I have finally decided to fight my fears and jump in. Any suggestions on where to start, what seeds to buy, or tips/tricks for a beginner. Thanks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First trick is to not concentrate on planting seeds to grow bonsai. That's not really bonsai. Growing plants from seedcan be fun, but it won't produce anything near bonsai in ten years. You won't be doing any actual bonsai work in all that time.

Second trick to bonsai is to realize that MOST bonsai are not "grown up" but "cut down" from larger trees, then shaped into bonsai with new growth. This is a key piece of knowledge if you're interested in bonsai.

Third thing to consider is your local climate --bonsai are NOT indoor plants for the most part, other than those made from tropical species like ficus. ALL temperate zone species for bonsai, from pines, to maples to elms CANNOT BE KEPT INSIDE. They will die given that treatment. "Out door" bonsai species are MUCH easier to keep and develop.

Fourth tip--find some people locally, like a bonsai club. There is no substitute for hands-on experience actually doing bonsai work. Clubs are also great for beginner material, inexpensive supplies, etc.

emre

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You can get a starter plant from Home Depot, like a cheap juniper or something. That should give you plenty of practice. In the meanwhile you can grow stuff from seed, but it's kind of a waste of time because the seedlings might not survive and if they do, you'll have to wait to grow out the tree anyway.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll copy and paste this from another response to a new hobbyist:

Start here and move on to the articles link at the end: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm

Another good springboard for a beginner. The paid beginners course videos they offer are good too: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

I think the book "Foundations of Bonsai" by Harry Harrington is a great read if you are completely new: https://stonelantern.com/collections/books/products/foundations-of-bonsai-by-harry-harrington

You can also search YouTube for "Bonsai Beginner Series" by Bonsai Mirai:

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Late winter/early spring is a great time to jump in so you're off to a good start! I'm only a couple years in myself, but I wish I had more trees. I think when you are starting out it's quantity over quality (within reason, you don't want to be working on garbage, unless you want to practice horticulturally or pushing them to their limits). You will get better advice if you add your location to your profile :)

AverageBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for all of the suggestions! i greatly appreciate them as i am new to bonsai, always open to hearing more!

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get tough species when you are starting.
Do not focus on getting things in a bonsai pot. That is the end of the road destination, not tomorrows' target.
Do not be scared to not do anything but water and fertilize individual trees for months at a time (Most trees look rough most of the time, for health)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Weeds are generally available in your yard and kind of everywhere. Trees are promiscuous and there are babies all over the place, just look down. Look around at the landscape for trees you admire the form of. You will usually find their offspring close to where they are growing and you can decide how much effort you want to expend collecting them. Seedlings under five years old van be collected by loosening the soil with an American digging fork and potted up in a low plastic container that can be a cut-off milk jug or coffee can or anything else that you can punch or drill holes in. You can gain experience on the cheap and by the time you graduate to digging up big stuff with a permit on BLM land you'll have a better handle on what's good for you. The localer, the better.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Weeds are generally available in your yard and kind of everywhere. Trees are promiscuous and there are babies all over the place, just look down. Look around at the landscape for trees you admire the form of. You will usually find their offspring close to where they are growing and you can decide how much effort you want to expend collecting them. Seedlings under five years old van be collected by loosening the soil with an American digging fork and potted up in a low plastic container that can be a cut-off milk jug or coffee can or anything else that you can punch or drill holes in. You can gain experience on the cheap and by the time you graduate to digging up big stuff with a permit on BLM land you'll have a better handle on what's good for you. The localer, the better.

I’ve got my eye on several saplings in my yard for this spring wondering if its worth it but reading this is encouraging. Thanks!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve got my eye on several saplings in my yard for this spring wondering if its worth it but reading this is encouraging. Thanks!
If nothing else this does help build you horticulture skills aswell as learn your personal climate.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are you looking to get out of the hobby? I enjoy growing seedlings.

This is an alder one year from seed and could be a nice shohin sized tree in three or four years.

20191214_114745.jpg

This is a 1 year old nursery juniper wired this winter which I hope to do some rootwork and ramification on - process similar to the mirai video posted above.

20191218_232706.jpg

Heres a zelkova that will get it's first bit of refinement work this summer.

20191021_220247.jpg

Its nice having things in all stages of development. Once again. Ask yourself what you want to get out of the hobby. I enjoy the horticultural side and that it brings me closer to that natural world. The speed at which i produce a showable tree means little to me.

20190927_170538.jpg

The hobby allows me to appreciate vistas like this more than normal.

AverageBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are you looking to get out of the hobby? I enjoy growing seedlings.

This is an alder one year from seed and could be a nice shohin sized tree in three or four years.

View attachment 280268

This is a 1 year old nursery juniper wired this winter which I hope to do some rootwork and ramification on - process similar to the mirai video posted above.

View attachment 280271

Heres a zelkova that will get it's first bit of refinement work this summer.

View attachment 280275

Its nice having things in all stages of development. Once again. Ask yourself what you want to get out of the hobby. I enjoy the horticultural side and that it brings me closer to that natural world. The speed at which i produce a showable tree means little to me.

View attachment 280274

The hobby allows me to appreciate vistas like this more than normal.
Thank you for your advice it is very useful. I'm really looking forward to see where this hobby takes me, hoping to have a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment throughout this process

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First trick is to not concentrate on planting seeds to grow bonsai. That's not really bonsai. Growing plants from seedcan be fun, but it won't produce anything near bonsai in ten years. You won't be doing any actual bonsai work in all that time.

Second trick to bonsai is to realize that MOST bonsai are not "grown up" but "cut down" from larger trees, then shaped into bonsai with new growth. This is a key piece of knowledge if you're interested in bonsai.

Third thing to consider is your local climate --bonsai are NOT indoor plants for the most part, other than those made from tropical species like ficus. ALL temperate zone species for bonsai, from pines, to maples to elms CANNOT BE KEPT INSIDE. They will die given that treatment. "Out door" bonsai species are MUCH easier to keep and develop.

Fourth tip--find some people locally, like a bonsai club. There is no substitute for hands-on experience actually doing bonsai work. Clubs are also great for beginner material, inexpensive supplies, etc.
Great advice.
And I’ll add....Don’t go out buying to much stuff right away. You don’t need a bookshelf full of bonsai pots. You don’t need all the nutrient additives you read about. Concentrate on a tree local to your climate. Read about it. Keep it healthy. You don’t need your own paper library....look online. A lot of trees are sold as “Indoor trees”...they are not.

AverageBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great advice.
And I’ll add....Don’t go out buying to much stuff right away. You don’t need a bookshelf full of bonsai pots. You don’t need all the nutrient additives you read about. Concentrate on a tree local to your climate. Read about it. Keep it healthy. You don’t need your own paper library....look online. A lot of trees are sold as “Indoor trees”...they are not.
great advice thank you! glad i found this forum a lot of nice people here

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@AverageBonsai Remember to add your location and growing zone to your profile. A general location works. This will help you get more appropriate replies over time.

Top Bottom