Where to take it?

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
This is a juniper (gold coast) that I removed from the neighbors yard (2003) before he had cut all the top off.
I worked on the carving winter of 2005
http://www.bonsaichat.org/forums/show-tell/2197-remember-one.html.

Worked on it this year to get the foliage closer to the trunk.
I am curious as to what others would do for this tree.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 56

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never played with paint...wanted to try it out...This concept may not be wabi....but I like it ;)

Attachments

• bonsai1.bmp
    11.7 KB · Views: 34

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
I've never played with paint...wanted to try it out...This concept may not be wabi....but I like it ;)

Wish I could see better, I downloaded it but was very small and distorted. Could be me.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry too much about it John. The live vein and deadwood are marvelous. You have done some very good work in carving and I wish I could do as good. The canopy will just take time. Be diligent about the fertilizer and keep the foliage pinched but let it elongate also. This will build some branch structure and girth on the branches. Right now they hardly look lignified, sometimes that takes two seasons to really look like wood.

I think it's well on it's way, nice job, Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree, John, and thought about a virtual in another person's distinctive style, but thought better of it LOL.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm with Al on this one, ramification, and wiring so as not to let it get ahead of you. Nice trunk and deadwood, I'm for a somewhat sparse- ity of the foliage. A rugged look without a full helmet.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome work so far John!
And based on all your other trees that I have seen I have no doubts that you will listen to what the tree tells you.
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
You could take it this way, or some other way...

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it John. The live vein and deadwood are marvelous. You have done some very good work in carving and I wish I could do as good. The canopy will just take time. Be diligent about the fertilizer and keep the foliage pinched but let it elongate also. This will build some branch structure and girth on the branches. Right now they hardly look lignified, sometimes that takes two seasons to really look like wood.

I think it's well on it's way, nice job, Al

Thanks Al,
Yes I plan on fertilizing heavy and wait. I started work on this tree in 2003 to get it to where it is now. There were two large branches that Y ed at the top so after carving I let it rest to gain strength. This year I removed one of the branches and had to bend the other one straight down to get the foliage lower on the tree. As you have stated most of the foliage is still young and for the most part have not wooded up yet but in time they will and hopefully it will tell me where to take it as Irene said.
http://www.bonsaibeginnings.org/Junipergoldcoast2.html
I am in no hurry as it has taken almost 5 years to get this far ;)

Thanks Irene I will let the tree tell me where to go ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
You could take it this way, or some other way...

Nice virt and sort of what I have in mind for this tree with getting the foliage a bit lower.
Thanks for your time.

Bill and anttal63
Yes I will let it go for another year or two, tweaking it now and then. I have another one in the grow bed that I will lift this spring and torture it a bit ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Top Bottom