Where would you layer this Crabapple?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a crabapple clump with some interesting roots, but it basically has 2 straight, identically sized trunks and some suckers, which I plan to prune off at some time. I want to remove the more boring of the 2 trunks so I was planning to air layer it off, probably next summer.
I was planning to air layer it off just below an area of inverse taper. First of all, I was wondering what looked better, air layering at 1 or 2.

Front of the tree; at this angle, air layer 2 looks better.
jul 004edit.JPG

But from another angle, you can see an interesting knobby bit between marks 1 and 2, air layering it at 1 would preserve that.
jul 007.JPG

Secondly, I would plan to prune it at the blue mark at some point. Is that best done this year (to let it heal on the tree before airlayering) or should I wait til after layering it so there is more foliage above the layer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you intend to cut off that lower blue branch, I wouldn't want a hole so close to the soil line.

I'd remove the low branch now and use the hole to start your ringbarking at that level.

These pictures are so pleasant to look at.

Sorce

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you intend to cut off that lower blue branch, I wouldn't want a hole so close to the soil line.

I'd remove the low branch now and use the hole to start your ringbarking at that level.

These pictures are so pleasant to look at.

Sorce
Thank you. I wasn't sure about cutting that lower blue branch or not, it's definitely too low if I air layer it at the line 2 but I'm thinking of air layering at line 1 and then it would be at least an inch and a half from the soil and I can't make up my mind whether to keep it or not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
keep it or not

Best to keep it just in case the squirrels get the rest!

It shouldn't spoil design for years, so I reckon better to have the life.

This PPB, keeping potential problems at bay, waiting till the very last minute before it ruins design, is highly applicable for this scenario.

If your patience in responding to that message is any indication of your patience with the tree, 😊, I reckon you're in an excellent position!

See ya in 2 weeks!😜

Sorce

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best to keep it just in case the squirrels get the rest!

It shouldn't spoil design for years, so I reckon better to have the life.

This PPB, keeping potential problems at bay, waiting till the very last minute before it ruins design, is highly applicable for this scenario.

If your patience in responding to that message is any indication of your patience with the tree, 😊, I reckon you're in an excellent position!

See ya in 2 weeks!😜

Sorce

I'm sorry for not responding sooner, I do appreciate the help a lot!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry for not responding sooner, I do appreciate the help a lot!

I'm totally messing with you, or me actually for MY addiction!
I find that bit of patience amazing!

Sorce

Top Bottom