Where you're getting your seed?

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am planning to start seeds this coming spring. I'm curious though, to those of you growing tree seeds, where you're getting them from. I've been looking around and trying to find reviews, some of which have kept me away from some sites. I'm currently looking at treeseeds.com for at least most of them.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many good companies... But if I only knew who sent me Robinia seeds instead of Acacia...

Pick one that can deliver the most of species you need and you will see.

There's also an opportunity to get some fresh seeds from the area you live in.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many good companies... But if I only knew who sent me Robinia seeds instead of Acacia...

Pick one that can deliver the most of species you need and you will see.

There's also an opportunity to get some fresh seeds from the area you live in.
Yep, that's why I'm looking at treeseeds.com. Because they've got a lot of what I'd like at a good price and don't have a terribly bad rating like some other's (3.9/5 stars so basically 4/5).

I do plan to get some seeds off our linden tree and a club member brought a tub of bald cypress cones to a meeting to give away. Unfortunately it's too late for a lot of the trees near me (they already dropped their seeds a while ago or animals got them) and not one of the many hackberry trees fruited this year with the dry weather.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sheffields is by far the best, although not the cheapest option. I would NOT recommend rareexoticseeds.com.
That's precisely why I'm looking at Tree Seeds for most of my seeds, because of their price compared to Sheffields. I never saw a single positive review for rareexoticseeds, I'd prefer to get them from someone here in the USA anyways.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The ground.

I've collected about 100 Ginkgo seeds this fall.
I plan to get a bunch of ginkgo seedlings in the spring. There's two herb greenhouses I go to that sell them. No female trees old enough for seed around here.

I'll have to look at Sheffields more since they are so highly spoken of, despite their prices being a little high. I haven't looked at oikos or Schumachers yet, I'll have to do that.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have had good and bad luck with seeds off eBay, I have a couple people on there that I have good germination rates with their seeds. Most seeds I just collect

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've had bad results from every eBay seed source. Often they buy old, expired seed from wholesalers, then sell the crap on line. Germination will be low to none at all.

Sheffield's & other reputable sellers also include germination info. Some need cold stratification, some need both a warm then a cold stratification, some need other tricks. Read up on your species you choose, failure to do what they need will give you little or no germination.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Every December I buy myself two different species from sheffield's. And every spring I'm rewarded with high germination rates, well .... relatively high (only a few winters under my belt). Sometimes they run out of the really rare stuff but they are good about restocking. JUST picked up some white bark pine 2 nights ago. I dunno what other site even sells it

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ordered seeds today. I decided to just stick with Tree Seeds right now. With the holiday season and all being so close I'd rather save any cash I can and they were cheaper. I thought I'd share what seeds I'll be planting though. I ordered Japanese maple (purpureum variety, regular was out of stock), trident maple, Japanese larch, Japanese zelkova Japanese flowering quince, and Japanese black pine.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sheffield's is great with customer service as well. They accidently miscounted one of my orders and I sent one email and they immediately replaced the entire order.

Top Bottom