Which bonsai Magazine is the best?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Happy birthday to my broke ass! I'm treating myself to a one year subscription to a bonsai mag. Any suggestions. I love the idea of a bi-monthly one but if the quarterly guy is superior I'll go that way too. I just read an old thread that kinda ragged on bonsai today. Don't want to pick the wrong one.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I subscribe to all three. Here is my ranking:
1. International Bonsai Magazine:
http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1403493
Great mix of Japanese translations and American articles; excellent photography, some pots discussion, and usually themed toward a style or species...though not so much so that its exclusive if the theme isn't your preference. Plus, Bill is an incredible ambassador for bonsai in the USA, generous with shows, material, and contributions here. Gwwrood to support his efforts wherever possible.

2. Bonsai Today is defunct, but Bonsai Focus is a European publication that seems to feature less and less Japanese translations, and more European styling articles, good galleries, and some discussion on pottery. Still very well-done, but with a much different flavor than Bonsai Today had.

3. The Journal of the American Bonsai Society is good too, but IMO, the most expensive relative to the content and quality.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I subscribe to International Bonsai and I am a member of ABS so I get their journal too.

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great mix of Japanese translations and American articles; excellent photography, some pots discussion, and usually themed toward a style or species...though not so much so that its exclusive if the theme isn't your preference. Plus, Bill is an incredible ambassador for bonsai in the USA, generous with shows, material, and contributions here. Gwwrood to support his efforts wherever possible.

2. Bonsai Today is defunct, but Bonsai Focus is a European publication that seems to feature less and less Japanese translations, and more European styling articles, good galleries, and some discussion on pottery. Still very well-done, but with a much different flavor than Bonsai Today had.

3. The Journal of the American Bonsai Society is good too, but IMO, the most expensive relative to the content and quality.
Thanks guys. I didn't bother researching this one because it is a matter of opinion. For the most part... So far I'm going International bonsai

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

As usual, Brian has provided extremely accurate, well stated info! I completely agree. Used to have a scrip to Bonsai Today during the time it switched to Bonsai Focus- it was a great mag but I'd say Bonsai Today has the best pictures/ graphics, International Bonsai has the best info.- just decide which is more important to you. If you say picture, you are wrong, try again!

JK

As far as I am concerned- Bonsai Today is still going strong, it is just an online publication now!
http://bonsaibark.com

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OP- While on the website looking into the subscription to International Bonsai, consider buying Bill's most recent Book too! It is a really good one! Especially if you like Japanese Maples! :)

Is the international one esprit bonsai? French now in English? Just saw a copy at the a cup $69 for 6 issues, digital issues 59.50

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is the international one esprit bonsai? French now in English? Just saw a copy at the a cup $69 for 6 issues, digital issues 59.50
No M'am- Brian posted a link above... "international Bonsai" is the name, not a description.

Bill also sells some trees in the Spring, has a good blog, sells books and magazines and does trips to Japan. You should check out his site..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks guys. I didn't bother researching this one because it is a matter of opinion. For the most part... So far I'm going International bonsai

In your thirst for knowledge, go to Bill's website and download the old mags order form and pick up all the old issues that interest you.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
esprit bonsai international is what I've read. Two issues. Pretty good, different topics, techniques etc. It has 80 pages or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: GGB

Jatt

Seedling
Reaction score
the IBMagazine site - nothing works

interesting that so many bonsai sites / forums / books gone defunct
thnak god for bonsai nut - amazing group of people and learning

thnaks folks

Top Bottom