Which bonsai tree

bubba1992

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently moved from Australia to Manchester England. I've decided I'd like to get a couple of small indoor bonsai's to green up my room a little bit.

I messed around with bonsai's a little bit as a kid, but I'm still a complete beginner. I'm renting a double room in a spare house, which is where the bonsai will be kept. I'm just wondering what kind of trees you guys would recommend, as its quite cool in England at the moment , and not a lot of sunlight (especially in my room).

Looking for some thoughts and advice possibly from people who live in similar climates. Thanks!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to Bonsai Nut!

Are you looking for trees that can be kept in ambient lighting? Or are you willing to set up artificial lighting?

bubba1992

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Bonsai Nut!

Are you looking for trees that can be kept in ambient lighting? Or are you willing to set up artificial lighting?

Hiya! I guess I hadn't thought about artificial lighting, but that could be an option if its relatively cheap and easy :) Thanks

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Unless you have a south-facing window, it is extremely difficult to keep trees in ambient lighting. Artificial lighting option opens up all kinds of options - particularly with the advent of LEDs.

bubba1992

Seedling
Reaction score
Unless you have a south-facing window, it is extremely difficult to keep trees in ambient lighting. Artificial lighting option opens up all kinds of options - particularly with the advent of LEDs.

Unfortunately I have an East facing window. Do you know where I can get some more information/pricing on artificial lighting? Thanks

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ficus is probably your best bet but be aware that there is really no such thing as an indoor bonsai. All trees should be outside. You can grow trees under lights for short periods of time but you will get much better growth and health when grown outside. Most people who grow tropicals out of their natural range grow them outside from spring to fall then under lights in the winter.

If you can provide an outdoor space for your trees you will have much greater success.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have an I indoor light set up, and I have 2 trees that spend 100% of their time indoors. One is a ficus, the other is a Bougainvillea. The bougie even occasionally blooms, usually twice a year. Lights are 18 hours on, 6 hours off, year round. Yes, both would probably be a little happier outside for the summer. I have 50+ trees outside, most year round. I keep these 2 inside. My 8th year for the bougie. Ficus, Hedera helix (ivy), bougie if your lights are really bright. And more Ficus varieties are my recommendation for 100% indoors trees.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have an I indoor light set up, and I have 2 trees that spend 100% of their time indoors. One is a ficus, the other is a Bougainvillea. The bougie even occasionally blooms, usually twice a year. Lights are 18 hours on, 6 hours off, year round. Yes, both would probably be a little happier outside for the summer. I have 50+ trees outside, most year round. I keep these 2 inside. My 8th year for the bougie. Ficus, Hedera helix (ivy), bougie if your lights are really bright. And more Ficus varieties are my recommendation for 100% indoors trees.
Just curious Leo, why do you keep the bougie indoors over the summer?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Not to speak on Leo's behalf, but I keep my infoor plants indoor because they drop all of their foliage when exposed to full spectrum, full force solar light. I have tried the shade, but it just doesn't work. My tropicals take around 4 months to re establish, which is around the entire summer. Instead of torturing them like that, I just keep them indoors. With some exceptions of course.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is in a very tall, narrow, cascade pot that gets knocked over easily. I keep it indoors only because I'm afraid the pot will get broken. I'll post a photo when I'm back home.
The pot is worth far more than the tree.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not to speak on Leo's behalf, but I keep my infoor plants indoor because they drop all of their foliage when exposed to full spectrum, full force solar light. I have tried the shade, but it just doesn't work. My tropicals take around 4 months to re establish, which is around the entire summer. Instead of torturing them like that, I just keep them indoors. With some exceptions of course.
That makes sense. Just wondering, because mine do OK inside, after the initial shock of coming in,sometimes even bloom. But outside from May until October they thrive and bloom profusely.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It is in a very tall, narrow, cascade pot that gets knocked over easily. I keep it indoors only because I'm afraid the pot will get broken. I'll post a photo when I'm back home.
The pot is worth far more than the tree.
Please do post a photo. I'm sure your light garden is probably brighter than the sun you get there up north. ;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im in the netherlands so our climate is not much different....
Ficus would be my choice to grow indoors
Mine is outside from spring to late fall and then goes inside, now its indoors inside an old aquarium with extra led lighting
The aquarium serves the purpose of keeping the humidity higher than the room itsself wich is bone dry due the heating system

It looks like this kinda cool eh!

Screenshot_20181128-224257.png

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had best luck with Ficus. Serissa as well. Fukien has been a pest magnet but so far good this year after a systemic treatment this summer. Jade are easy. Large southern window.

Attachments

• IMG_20181208_124450406_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181208_124450406_HDR.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 15

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is that Bougie. Started in 2013, got knocked over several times summer of 2013. Spending the rest of its time in the safety of being under lights. The pot is from a USA artist, but I forget who. The pot is unique, not real practical, and not repeated by that artist, so it is a rare pot, even if it is not a particularly ''valuable pot''. I did not get around to a more current pic than the 2016 image. It live 100% of its time under lights. I do agree that outdoors in summer it would grow better. This is basically a stick in a pot. It will always be a stick in a pot unless I get it into a much larger, grow out container to bulk up the trunk. But for the moment it is fun to have something in bloom in this really unique pot.

The bougie in 2014
dragon cascade April 2014-small.jpg

The same bougie in 2016
Bougie-May2016d-small.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Schefflera is another choice for low light conditions. Many don't care for them but they do make a good indoor plant.

Top Bottom