Which kind of bark do you like? why?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I'd like to look for the answers. This is one of my experiments on the black pine going on at this time. Which one do you like? Please elaborate your answer. Thank you very much for your time.
# 1
IMG_7427.jpg IMG_7428.jpg IMG_7429.jpg

# 2
IMG_7425.jpg IMG_7426.jpg IMG_7430.jpg

Bonhe

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the first one, looks prone to breaking into smaller plates. IMO when bark gets too thick and corky its scale doesn't work for bonsai. I like it best when it's super thin, flakey and delicate. I think that looks most like a natural tree, all things considered. Only cuz you asked

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Which one do you like?..
Technically and aesthetically from these photos..I want to say #2, because it looks like an old tree covered in lichen. That said, is this tree hurting from, "hard water and salts from fertilizer (@milehigh_7)."...or is it functionally adapting to conditions?

Also, if bark on the outside is not carrying nutrients or water..Is that really a lichen, or the bark, and if so, is it really a bad thing?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TN_Jim, post: 560854, member: 22551"]
Technically and aesthetically from these photos..I want to say #2, because it looks like an old tree covered in lichen. That said, is this tree hurting from, "hard water and salts from fertilizer (@milehigh_7)."...or is it functionally adapting to conditions?
I would say it shows the human inflicted sign.

Also, if bark on the outside is not carrying nutrients or water..Is that really a lichen, or the bark, and if so, is it really a bad thing?
I don't know the answer for this question yet, but I know the trees are doing fine so far :)
Bonhe

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I would definitely say that #1 looks better, knowing it's a jbp; #2 looks like it's coated in something, but that may just be the photo.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I brought the tree to my teacher today. He was very surprised and interested in # 2. One vote from my teacher :)
Bonhe

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like number 2. The bark goes all the way up.

Top Bottom