Which Oak Bonsai

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An oak that's native here in Utah is Gambel Oak- Quercus gambelii. It could be a good candidate for you. I've seen the leaves be pretty small in nature and they're definitely hardy enough(heat and cold). Fall colors can be decent too.

Here is a link from Oregon State University about them: https://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/qugam.htm

You can search Google images for them in their Fall colors, there's plenty to look at..

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Do you collect anything or buy your trees?
I've collected Coast Live oak, Interior Live Oak, , Valley Oak, and Blue Oak. All the rest of mine started as nursery stock. We used to have a nursery nearby that specialized in oaks from all over the world and that's where a lot of mine came from. I have one cork oak that I grew from an acorn about 35 years old.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Paul...you're lucky you have all of the deciduous down there to collect. I have conifers and they can take a lot of time to develop and they don't do chops and root pruning like the deciduous either. I would love to go out and collect an oak or a hornbeam. Peter

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Paul...you're lucky you have all of the deciduous down there to collect. I have conifers and they can take a lot of time to develop and they don't do chops and root pruning like the deciduous either. I would love to go out and collect an oak or a hornbeam. Peter
Actually deciduous take a lot longer to develop than conifers because scar healing and ramification are so important. I collect a lot of junipers and they are much faster.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes you are correct Paul. I never thought about it that way. I am taking on a bunch of maples, a hornbeam, some oaks, a couple of service berries, plus what I might collect this spring. I'm going to have to stay dialed in. I will have to look for a Juniper...there are a ton of wild ones around here of all kinds of shapes, and they are on public, BLM land.

Top Bottom