Which of these J maple cultivars are the most resilient/tolerant to direct/full sunlight? …ranked from Most to Least?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Which of these J maple cultivars are the most resilient/tolerant to direct/full sunlight? …ranked from Most to Least?

Red Dragon, Katsura maple, Shishigashira, Kiyohime, Golden Full Moon.

Just wanted to know which of them I definitely need to place in the most-shaded areas around the house, and also, which I can place in areas that get a little more sunlight (but still some shade, depending on time of day). Because, like most houses, space and areas with good Shade is limited.
Also, being in SoCal, the summer is going to be very hot.

Thanks

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A completely general comment: red leafed maples can tolerate more sun, green leafed varieties need more protection.

But in my area, red leafed varieties can still get scorched.

I believe the red pigment acts as a sort of sunscreen for plants.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would say also texture. The more thick or rough the leaf the sun tolerant. I have an orange dream that has sun scorch already. The leaves are yellow and very delicate. My shishigashira is fine.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know the laceleaf “dissectum“ varieties are the least tolerant of full sun. Just look at them funny and the leaves shrivel and brown.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
My Katsura maple has the most scorched edges.. followed by the KiyoHime, but only slightly on a couple leaves. 3rd is the Red Dragon, but only on the very tips. Shishigashira and Golden Full Moon have no scorch at all.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Golden Full Moon scorches easily, but my Lionshead gets sun from dawn to ~3 PM without a problem. (both in-ground landscape trees)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a bonsai I think all Japanese maples should have some shade. Mine get 4 to 6 hours of light and all do very well. None experience scorch. I have over 30 cultivars.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine get full sun until it gets hot. Usually that means while leafing out and up to about early to mid May when they go to bright shade. For others, it depends on what ya got...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here too, Katsura and Orange dream are the first ones to be scorched.

Shishigashira is more sun tolerant.

If by "Golden full Moon" you mean Acer shirasawanum, here A. shirasawanum Autumn Moon is rather sun tolerant, as well as A. sirasawanum Aureum.

If green lace-leaf A. palmatum need at least partial shade, I have an 'Atropurpureum' which stays in the sun most of the day and it's doing well.

In any case, all my maples, except a few ones, are potted whether they're "bonsai" or patio trees so I can move them to a more shaded part of the garden in the heart of the summer when it gets hot and dry.

At the moment, it's hot (32°) and dry and I'm tasting a Brooklyn East IPA. Not as good as British or Irish IPAs, but very nice, much better than most French beers anyway...

D

Deleted member 21616

much better than most French beers anyway...

on a really hot summer day, isn't very cold white wine basically beer? you must be walking distance to some of my favs! sancerre, reuilly, quincy... even pouilly-fumé, which always goes down the easiest! 🤣

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If by "Golden full Moon" you mean Acer shirasawanum, here A. shirasawanum Autumn Moon is rather sun tolerant, as well as A. sirasawanum Aureum.
My Autumn is tolerant, but my Aureum is decidedly not at all.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
sancerre, reuilly, quincy... even pouilly-fumé

You're a "connaisseur" :p

Where these are made is not far from where I live, and Pouilly Fumé in particular is most excellent, I agree. Something to share with friends with kinds of "tapas", bread and blue cheese (Roquefort), or "charcuterie" (delicatessen). Or both.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
"tapas", bread and blue cheese (Roquefort), or "charcuterie" (delicatessen)

... IPA (Indian -not Irish, you eejit- pale ale), tapas, delicatessen, connoisseur (or connaisseur) : we definitely live in a global world where cultural exchanges are a "plus" ! :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This site is a good resource for Japanese Maples. It's in Cali. too.

As for your sun tolerance, looks like it's a crap shoot for the varieties you've mentioned. And BTW, there is "hot" in Michigan and "hot" in Orange County, same for sun exposure. I would imagine full afternoon sun in Orange County in July is a mite strong...

Red Dragon--part shade

Katsura--part shade to full sun

shishigashira--part shade

Kiyohime--sun part shade

Golden Full Moon-sun-part shade

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm tasting a Brooklyn East IPA. Not as good as British or Irish IPAs, but very nice, much better than most French beers anyway...

I like bay-area and SF IPAs and beers - Lagunitas and Anchor Steam are my faves.

But, usually, I love Japanese beers more and drink J beers every weekend. I really love Orion MugiShokunin and also the regular Orion. Usually, I just get Sapporo, Asahi or Kirin in the US. Yes, Sapporo and Asahi is kinda like water; but, it's very crisp, super carbonated, very clean tasting and refreshing.
If in Japan... there's tons of really good stuff - Braumeister, Sapporo Hokkaido-Only Classic, Sapporo Red Star, Suntory Premium Malts, Yebisu.

I absolutely hate despise American beer tho - Bud, Miller, Corona, Pabst, etc.

Borko

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a lot of Japanese maple and I have no problem with burning leaves. I live in zone 7 and temperatures range are from 30 - 40 degrees Celsius . The temperatures during the night are not much lower than the daily temperatures. I have no problem with burning leaves . In the backyard of my relatives who living in another city
where the nights are colder and over the day it's warm ,acers have problem with leaves burning. I think that this is the main problem, the difference between day and night temperatures . My sango kaku is planted in the ground in the bright sun all day and have no problem at all.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a lot of Japanese maple and I have no problem with burning leaves. I live in zone 7 and temperatures range are from 30 - 40 degrees Celsius . The temperatures during the night are not much lower than the daily temperatures. I have no problem with burning leaves . In the backyard of my relatives who living in another city
where the nights are colder and over the day it's warm ,acers have problem with leaves burning. I think that this is the main problem, the difference between day and night temperatures . My sango kaku is planted in the ground in the bright sun all day and have no problem at all.
I'm betting that you have abnormally high humidity. JM have very thin leaves and I speculate their thin-branch-to-leaf-surface ratio limits their ability to transpire enough in full afternoon sun when humidity is low. My Lionshead gets full sun almost all day, but the contorted shape of the leaf is such that 50% of the leaf is shaded by itself at all times (rotating surfaces exposed through the day). It might be instructive to know your location, if you're not incognito...

D

Deleted member 21616

Welcome to the forum @Borko . You should add your location to your profile to make it either for others to interpret your posts in general :)

I think that this is the main problem, the difference between day and night temperatures

This is unlikely to be the main problem. Different cultivars react differently to sun, heat, drying winds, soil moisture, etc., and it follows that they will also react differently to a day-night temperature differential as well, if one wishes to consider this a factor at all.

Sango Kaku is especially tolerant to sun and heat, and is not a good example when discussing, say, Aka Shigitatsu Sawa or Kashima. However, in my experience no one cultivar is a good example of another. Each cultivar--and each tree specimen, really--must be considered on its own. "Katsura" is a good example of this. Some people have success with Katsura in full sun all day with dry winds, while others have Katsura whose leaves burn in 3-4 hours of sun per day despite with no wind and high humidity. Maybe this depends on the one's 'strain' of Katsura, but it also certainly depends on the tree itself and all of the many external factors (watering, moisture retention of the soil, root health, etc.)

Top Bottom