Which olive tree looks better?

szachy113

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently buying a bonsai tree. I looked at many different species, but the European olive tree one convinces me badly. I just love it. However, in the shop there are two of them. Both look good in my opinion, but I'm a newbie and it'll be my first one, so... I'll ask You. Which one of these two looks better, do you think? They're 13 years old each and cost the same, too. Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻

1.jpg2.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For me, probably #2 on the age and character of the deadwood. Notice that most of the trunk appears dead and the growth is coming from a live portion behind the trunk. But it would probably be the more challenging design.

I’d recommend #1 for a beginner. It has more branches for more styling options. It appears taller, which has a larger tree will make the leaf size better in proportion.

szachy113

Seedling
Reaction score
For me, probably #2 on the age and character of the deadwood. Notice that most of the trunk appears dead and the growth is coming from a live portion behind the trunk. But it would probably be the more challenging design.

I’d recommend #1 for a beginner. It has more branches for more styling options. It appears taller, which has a larger tree will make the leaf size better in proportion.
Hi! 🙂 Thanks for your answer. I greatly appreciate it. What would be the "more challenging" part in your opinion? Like... more difficult to grow / keep it alive?

Their height is the same, at least that's what the shop says (36cm, not counting the pot).

szachy113

Seedling
Reaction score
I like #2 more than the first one. More trunk movement, nicer pot, deadwood, & some nebari. It's close to christmas so buy both! :)
Haha! 😁 Yeah, the pot. I like it more too!

I'm just scared that it will die somehow. I don't know... deadwood sounds deadly, risky. Is this even a possibility?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The rest of the tree is alive, and it happens with many trees in nature, nothing to worry about. Just like most things some people like the look, and some people don't. I think it gives the tree character, and a more natural look that you don't see as often.

szachy113

Seedling
Reaction score
The rest of the tree is alive, and the deadwood won't harm the tree. It happens with many trees in nature, nothing to worry about. Just like most things some people like the look, and some people don't. I think it gives the tree character, and a more natural look that you don't see as often.
Thanks for the clarifcation! It helps a tone. But my last question would be whether it is generally more difficult to grow such tree or not? 🤔

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the clarifcation! It helps a tone. But my last question would be whether it is generally more difficult to grow such tree or not? 🤔
Growing conditions water, light, fertilizer, & temps, would be the same, so I would say no growing won't be more difficult. Carving deadwood if you choose to is more of an advanced topic. Pruning, shaping, wiring would be the same in my eyes. IDK your skill level but if your new you can take your time and grow and care for the plant for 6 months and in the mean time learn everything you want to do to the tree. It's your tree so you can do what you want when you feel confident in doing it. Most confidence comes with experience & learning. Patience and learning is the path I choose. I'll stare at a plant for a year sometimes, other times I know what I want to do before I buy it. :) Good luck

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I initially liked tree #2 because of the movement and bark, but #1 has to be my pick. I like the gentle curve and the nebari #1 has.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What would be the "more challenging" part in your opinion? Like... more difficult to grow / keep it alive?
The styling and design part. They both look healthy. #2 can be made to look like a traditional olive bonsai quicker. On #1, one of the larger branches that makes up the apex comes off the trunk at a lower position relative to other branches higher on the trunk line. That larger branching is also straight, unlike the curves of the trunk below it. Since one side of the #2 trunk is deadwood, the branches will all come from the back which also make wiring more challenging.

szachy113

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks, @everyone, for your honest answers and opinions. Amazing community! 🙂

The styling and design part. They both look healthy. #2 can be made to look like a traditional olive bonsai quicker. On #1, one of the larger branches that makes up the apex comes off the trunk at a lower position relative to other branches higher on the trunk line. That larger branching is also straight, unlike the curves of the trunk below it. Since one side of the #2 trunk is deadwood, the branches will all come from the back which also make wiring more challenging.
Oh, I see. But what do you mean by "a traditional olive bonsai"? Also, could you maybe share a reference to what both trees could grow into, possibly? I would be very thankful 🙂

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, @everyone, for your honest answers and opinions. Amazing community! 🙂

Oh, I see. But what do you mean by "a traditional olive bonsai"? Also, could you maybe share a reference to what both trees could grow into, possibly? I would be very thankful 🙂
Search the internet for ‘Specimen “olive bonsai”’. About 90% will be styled as an informal broom form to resemble most olives we see in the “wild” which are mostly trees that have been touched by humans at some point. Something like below with the apex over the base of the trunk and some spaces between branches. Apologies for my ugly virtuals.

D6BF1A5A-FFE4-44C2-B4B5-98E2F2C1DEDC.jpeg22FACE96-9C46-4D4D-A79B-A7439DE83F67.jpeg

A less traditional form would be a more “wilder” chaotic broom form or one where the the apex is not over the base.
3141CFB0-994E-40A6-BDEB-20A98EE7EB8A.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
#1 does it for me for sure, taper + movement + decent branching = winner winner olive dinner 😁

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently buying a bonsai tree. I looked at many different species, but the European olive tree one convinces me badly. I just love it. However, in the shop there are two of them. Both look good in my opinion, but I'm a newbie and it'll be my first one, so... I'll ask You. Which one of these two looks better, do you think? They're 13 years old each and cost the same, too. Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻

View attachment 465498View attachment 465499
Id go for #1.
Which one did you end up getting szachy.

Top Bottom