Which olive tree looks better?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You will have fun with #2 that you chose. Yet I still think that #1 is better in a well-formed base, trunk taper and movement.

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
I prefer #1. But have you considered instead a wild olive (olea silvestris)? which is similar in many ways but has much smaller leaves so you can make it look like a miniature tree more quickly/successfully.
Downside is that wild olives won't give you fruit like Europeans will.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would do #1... because I think the entire front of the trunk of #2 is dead. That isn't corky bark that we're seeing... it's dead bark. I'll bet you could pop that bark off and all you'd see is deadwood with a single line of live growth up the back of the tree. That and the inverse taper (which would be hard to fix) would make me go #1.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
because I think the entire front of the trunk of #2 is dead. That isn't corky bark that we're seeing... it's dead bark. I'll bet you could pop that bark off and all you'd see is deadwood with a single line of live growth up the back of the tree.
That was my assumption as well. Carving isn’t a beginner skill, at least to make it look good.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well now that you rejected the better subject and selected the poorer one, prove us wrong.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Number one is number one for me. Better spread of the branches from the trunk. Also seems stronger and healthier for me. Second one seems to have some inverse taper, first has perfect transition and taper.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basically, number two is an all around piece of junk. It lives up to its numerical identifier (as in it looks like "number two.") It's dead on one side. It's roots are a mess. It has inverse taper on the trunk and an extremely ugly run on trunk at the top. The "primary: branch sticks out like a flagpole across the trunk. The remaining "branching" is a tangle of tiny shoots.

Number one has mostly none of that.

If you want to add ten years onto the path towards a decent bonsai, choose number 2

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see that you're leaning towards the #1. Interesting 😁

I ended up choosing the latter one, #2 🙂
Where did said olive tree come from? Also, please add a location or a usda zone to your profile so the fine folk here can help and give you better, more accurate accurate location specific advice. 😉

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like #1 for a beginner. #2 is a more difficult tree to find a design for. For a first tree you can get a lot more out of #1 without having to worry about maintaining the deadwood which is really the only feature. I agree #1 has better taper and more options in the apical region. Side branches offer some long term options if you wanted to change the style drastically.

eko

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm a newbie. I've been interested and consider myself kind if well-read.

#1 would be excellent if you're in it to style and kind of have a "blank canvas".

#2 is a work of art by itself. I wouldn't start hacking at it for a year or two at least.

Thanks for sharing, they're both beautiful!

Hermes33

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like number 1 as it looks more elegant and graceful to me with the subtle curve and more realistic Nebari yet still with character. Over time looks like it would definitely develop great character like #2 already has.

Hermes33

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm a newbie. I've been interested and consider myself kind if well-read.

#1 would be excellent if you're in it to style and kind of have a "blank canvas".

#2 is a work of art by itself. I wouldn't start hacking at it for a year or two at least.

Thanks for sharing, they're both beautiful!
what he said lol.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Basically, number two is an all around piece of junk. It lives up to its numerical identifier (as in it looks like "number two.") It's dead on one side. It's roots are a mess. It has inverse taper on the trunk and an extremely ugly run on trunk at the top. The "primary: branch sticks out like a flagpole across the trunk. The remaining "branching" is a tangle of tiny shoots.

Number one has mostly none of that.

If you want to add ten years onto the path towards a decent bonsai, choose number 2
This is the type of comment that would make me buy #2 just for the challenge... Or maybe just to be spiteful. 😂😂

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being beginner where do you live(please add to profile)? Where will tree be kept at? Be aware most non tropicals need to grow outdoors. Also curious of trees price?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m betting he has left . Has not been on since Jan 6 . Not disagreeing with the advice given. But the negative comments about his choice of no 2 . After he clearly stated that’s the one he got . Is the root cause . Of his or her departure. Reality sucks some times .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m betting he has left . Has not been on since Jan 6 . Not disagreeing with the advice given. But the negative comments about his choice of no 2 . After he clearly stated that’s the one he got . Is the root cause . Of his or her departure. Reality sucks some times .
I'll take that bet. I also chose #2 and still do despite the advice to the contrary, and I'm still here. The heart wants what the heart wants. Bunch of complete strangers aren't going to convince me to like something I don't like. It's my time and money. I love mustard and hate ketchup. Prove me wrong. :)

Too avoid any confusion the above was typed without any anger or malice.

Top Bottom