Which One is best

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There cannot be a best. There can only be a favorite and that depends on what you plan for it. Personally I love all of them but I have an affection for ginkgo that proceeds any of my bonsai endeavors.
That doesn't mean it is my favorite of the three for bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!
😉

Sorce

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
There cannot be a best. There can only be a favorite and that depends on what you plan for it. Personally I love all of them but I have an affection for ginkgo that proceeds any of my bonsai endeavors.
That doesn't mean it is my favorite of the three for bonsai.
I agree, ginkgo are frustrating in bonsai.

My mean, i don't have too much space now!
I only can take 2 trees, and doesn't want they are too different like Juniperus - Carpinus.

I'm fan of spruce but not sure Picea Pungens doing good in bonsai.

Tell me more about this tree. And do you know how to keep a spruce small? What I can do with the apical bud?

Sorry for my writing, I quit school at 16

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can Ginkgo even grow down there? I happen to love their fall colors. In a commissioned Erin Pottery pot by Victor Harris.
20201120_082525.jpg

That said. I also love the fall colors on a bald cypress. Which I know do well down there.
20210206_170449.jpg

but an Olive could do well as well. Which I have as well. The one which will thrive best in your climate would be my choice. I don't have a favorite species.
20200815_061720.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree, ginkgo are frustrating in bonsai.

My mean, i don't have too much space now!
I only can take 2 trees, and doesn't want they are too different like Juniperus - Carpinus.

I'm fan of spruce but not sure Picea Pungens doing good in bonsai.

Tell me more about this tree. And do you know how to keep a spruce small? What I can do with the apical bud?

Sorry for my writing, I quit school at 16
Limited on space. I highly suggest you also study styles of bonsai. See what styles intrigue you. To me its more than a tree in a pot. Its finding your niche...of good bones that when you look at your tree. It brings pride in taking it to the next level. Bones/structure there...to make the journey fun.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Louisinass, it seems that you live in the same swamp that PinNoir lived in, perhaps you've made his/her acquaintance?🧐 It appears you recently changed your username. Probably just a coincidence........

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Our
@Louisinass, it seems that you live in the same swamp that PinNoir lived in, perhaps you've made his/her acquaintance?🧐 It appears you recently changed your username. Probably just a coincidence......
DRAIN THE SWAMP !!!
Yes I change my nickname as some people think I'm French. My hometown have a french name and I love this language! I live in Pointe a la hache.

finally i try Pins Serotina, BC are too common for me 🤞

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
I hope my nickname doesn't hurt your feelings.
I love LA, i'm a fan of Tabasco and cajun seasoning. My only regret : to had quit school at my 16.

My job is not really excited but in LA people are fine and I have very funny day with my colleagues.

Let's start care P.Serotina !

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC are too common for me
If this is so why list them in your 3 choices. I am assuming , like others, that your reference to cypress means bald cypress. Interesting to note that all three of your choices are deciduous conifers, none of which would be a great choice as a beginner tree compared to the many many choices available. Honestly, just get a plant and go. If you don't like it, change it later. There is no answer to your original question. There are only opinions and choices.
Just go get a tree and get started ... and best of luck. Down the road just remember that you asked this question and you will see the irony.

Top Bottom