Which Pine species smells lemony

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello All,

There is a pine tree in a park nearby and it oozes a lot of sap, which smells lemony. I really would like to know the name of the species of this Pine. Any suggestions please. Its needles are dark green in color.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what country, region, needle length, and how many per fasicle? I heard a couple species described as lemony, that's just a small clue. If you can snap pics of the bark and cones I can tell you for sure what species

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I am located in London. I will post picture on the weekend. Many Thanks for reply.
It will be great if you can list the names of species that you know are lemony.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Won't lie, that's not something I have memorized. In my defense... that's kind of a personal opinion too. Plenty of pines are described as lemony but I wonder if terroir comes into play with that...

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a mugo pine and scott pine and few that are in the park but not all of them are lemony. I will send the picture later.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I'm pretty good when it comes to olfactory things, but lemon (limonene) is something I can hardly find in most pines. But chemically it's there, a lot of it too.
Scots pine is getting close. Strobus smells like cheese. Mugo to me is not lemony. Red pine is pine smell.
I'm even thinking Cedar, not because its lemoney smell, but because people tend to love the smell of Cedar and usually have a hard time giving that scent a description.

A picture would solve this mystery in less than an hour though.

Top Bottom