Which pot for this larch?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi,

This is a larch (larix eurolepis) from a dozen I bought as three year-old seedlings some twelve years ago when i started bonsai.

Should I have known, I would have field-grown it, one of its brothers in the garden is now 4 meters high (about 12 feet), but anyway...

It's now about 55-60 cm (about 22 inches).

I can't invest too much money on pots, so I chose one that fitted its size to make it stand the rather dry climate we (used to) have here in the summer. But it's beginning to look nice now, and I would like to repot it next spring.

I had thought of an oval pot about as deep as this one, but maybe a bit smaller, but I'm not so sure anymore, maybe a round one would be better.

What do you think?

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I forgot to post a picture of the other side, which is the one I prefer, actually:

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm rather new to Bonsai, but I figured I would throw my 2 cents in....if anything just to get my post number up :)

I think the pot you have now is along the lines you will probably want to stay with. I think this exceptional tree will look best in an unglazed rectangle pot. I think a rectangular pot would be better than a round pot because to me the tree appears to be more masculine than femine. It seems to be very angular with limited optimal display angles.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alain, I like your tree! Larch doesn't fare well this deep into the midwest. It's our extensive use of 100 plus fahrenheit temperatures in summer.

I think an unglazed, shallow rectangular or oval pot will be your best bet. I don't believe this tree is a candidate for a round pot. Something in a red clay would set off the color of the leaves nicely, I think, and give a good contrast to the autumn color.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it would look great in a round lotus pot.
Mom

Irene,
In my view this tree is too static to carry off the round pot. An oval lotus maybe, but with its slender grace, my choice is still shallow oval or rectangular. Probably oval, but that is just a personal preference.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well, well, well... It seems almost all the options have been reviewed :)

I agree with chris when he says the tree is static: it looks more like a tree that has grown in a plain, or on a plateau, than on snowy, windy slopes.

So maybe a rather flat pot, either oval or rectangular would have my preference.

But I went to the tokoname site and maybe the tree would look good too with one of their lotus pots :confused:

Well, well, well... Each point of view was interesting, each one has its own vision of the "personality" of the tree, I still have to find which pot suits mine :eek:

That's food for thought anyway. Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your advice, I will update this post in the spring.

Top Bottom