Which pot?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have up to now not been interested in learning about matching pots and trees....i'm using random containers as pots. Now I want to source a pot for this tree.
I'm stuck (to saw the least) on what shape will suit it...round, oval, rectangular...? What I do know is the depth should be the diameter of the trunk. The tree is very wide, and will get even wider as it develops. That should surely be taken into consideration to...?
Help plz...🥴
IMG_20200730_194732.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Fredman,
I am not really qualified to answer this as I don’t have any trees in bonsai pots so my thinking is - Muscular stocky tree/trunk = Rectangular pot and earthy brown colour.

Your Rata (? Pohutukawa ?) is really cool and deserves a nice pot.
My styling comment, if you don’t mind, would be to thin this out to show a few good trunks, eg shorten or remove some, to create some more branches. Natural broom style suits this species and look forward to its progress.
Charles

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello Fredman,
Personally I quite often prefer round pots when I am not sure of the best angle for the choice of the face, especially as this will evolve over time (rear branch that grows and that we want to put more value ...)

Maybe a little more flared pot will give a little lightness, the current pot is a little too "heavy" visually.

Then for the choice of the color, it is a question of taste with brown, beige in general we are not mistaken.

Maybe , this kind of pot could be suitable, even if the problem is that as with clothes, it's trying that we know if it suits us or not ...

20200730_114523.jpg

I like this kind of tree very natural and not formatted 👍
Jacques

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredman,
I am not really qualified to answer this as I don’t have any trees in bonsai pots so my thinking is - Muscular stocky tree/trunk = Rectangular pot and earthy brown colour.

Your Rata (? Pohutukawa ?) is really cool and deserves a nice pot.
My styling comment, if you don’t mind, would be to thin this out to show a few good trunks, eg shorten or remove some, to create some more branches. Natural broom style suits this species and look forward to its progress.
Charles
Hey Charles.
My gut feeling was also rectangular in a earthy colour. It's Pohutukawa yes. It has 5 sturdy trunks. I actually wanted more. I want to let it look as natural as possible. I'm torn between showing more trunk, and having some hanging branches.
I don't worry about that to much now as it's early in development. I'm growing lower hang branches for now. Will decide on that later.
You see the air roots?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Fredman,
Personally I quite often prefer round pots when I am not sure of the best angle for the choice of the face, especially as this will evolve over time (rear branch that grows and that we want to put more value ...)

Maybe a little more flared pot will give a little lightness, the current pot is a little too "heavy" visually.

Then for the choice of the color, it is a question of taste with brown, beige in general we are not mistaken.

Maybe , this kind of pot could be suitable, even if the problem is that as with clothes, it's trying that we know if it suits us or not ...

View attachment 319523

I like this kind of tree very natural and not formatted 👍
Jacques
Thanks Jacques. I'm not to sure about a round pot...but what do I know 🤪
The round one it's in now (yes it's way to heavy) disturbs me, and puts me off a round one for it. But you may be right...a lighter round might be the one for it...
Problem is, i'm not the best visualizer. I need to find a way of doing virtuals...🥴

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Problem is, i'm not the best visualizer. I need to find a way of doing virtuals...🥴

Hello, just get some screenshots of pots you think are suitable, load as layers in Photoshop on top of the image of your tree and "plant" it, adjusting size and angle (Comd+T).

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think a round or oval would look good with that tree as well as rounds and ovals with angled walls.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would definitely avoid angular (rectangles, square, etc. anything with corners) This tree has a curvy trunk that will be put in a straighjacket in such a pot. Wide shallow oval to mirror the spreading dome-shaped crown. Avoid deep round containers--too clunky. Something similar to this Chinese banyan would work:

ficus.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey Charles.
My gut feeling was also rectangular in a earthy colour. It's Pohutukawa yes. It has 5 sturdy trunks. I actually wanted more. I want to let it look as natural as possible. I'm torn between showing more trunk, and having some hanging branches.
I don't worry about that to much now as it's early in development. I'm growing lower hang branches for now. Will decide on that later.
You see the air roots?

Hi Fredman,
Yep the air roots are such a cool part of this species.
I get a bit jealous down here because our humidity is so low during Summer that the roots don’t last/grow long enough to get to the soil line.
How old is this one? Why I ask is that it takes about 15 years to get mature foliage and flowers. I can send you a cutting grown one, that will flower straight away. if you would like. We have got lots to share 👍👍.
Charles

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredman,
Yep the air roots are such a cool part of this species.
I get a bit jealous down here because our humidity is so low during Summer that the roots don’t last/grow long enough to get to the soil line.
How old is this one? Why I ask is that it takes about 15 years to get mature foliage and flowers. I can send you a cutting grown one, that will flower straight away. if you would like. We have got lots to share 👍👍.
Charles
It'll be 15 years old this spring. Yes i'm expecting flowers this Christmas. I have a kermadecensis that flowered last year the first time. It's in a big pot...contemplating whether to bonsai it or not....I have more than I can handle🥴
Where are you in NZ mate?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Something else to consider- I had to google the species but they have red flowers, which should also be considered when thinking about pot choice.

I say definitely not a rectangle, something round (not a circle) to accent the trunks movement but not too feminine.

Top Bottom