Which prunus mume?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
If you are looking to buy ume starters, is there a variety you have been looking for? How many would you want. I have a possible source for several varieties but they are pricey so I would only be stocking one variety unless there is a demand for others. Let me know soon I am writing my order in the next day or so.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If your looking for seedlings check out

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1442817

and

http://evergreengardenworks.com/prunus.htm

If your looking for something special drop Chris Kirk at Telperion farms an email he's got some awesome trunks growing in the ground. His variety is your basic white. I think my favorite three would be basic white Prunus Mume, Kobai a red, and Omoi no Mama multi colored from green to white to pink. The contorted variety is also a lot of fun but i've only found it grafted in the US and graft unions on apricots tend to develop poorly with age. I have one i'm going to try air layering a portion off this year, I hope it takes.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey Fred, I don't know if all species develop badly when grafted. That was worded wrong.

I'm referring specifically to my own experience with prunus mume contorta. For some reason this sub-species tends to develop bulges and corking at the graft union. A bit unsightly although my trees are still young, perhaps 5 years old since grafted. The controted species is grafted onto a similar white flowering "not contorted" type. All my other apricots are seedling grown. I have about 10 different varieties, I haven't begun grafting one onto the other like in peters blog. I do plan do try to graft Kobai to one of the trees I bought from Chris last year in the next few years once I finish the nebari development.

Ben

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Clyde, this will be market driven, so check the shows and see what people are showing and go from there.

For a while, single (5-petal) varieties have been preferable (plenty of these at last year's kokufu, IIRC), Yabai for single white, and Kobai for single red flowers.

Check BT 95 for more varieties:
touji is semi-double white
musashino is full-double pink
benichi-idori is single dark pink
unryu is full-double white

Good luck, eager to see what you come up with.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fred, I don't mean any disrespect, but I think Brian is the only one on topic so far...:)

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd like any variety. Don't care about the color of the flower as long as the tree itself is in great shape.

Btw camellia farms says they cannot ship ume to oregon. Anyone knows why?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
LOL actually the topic is if you are looking for starters, what kind because I WILL BE SELLING THEM. I have a source for all the kinds Bill and Brent have and more. ;-) I am looking to fill a need if there is one. If not, as you have all stated, there are some great existing sources.

Ariya

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL actually the topic is if you are looking for starters, what kind because I WILL BE SELLING THEM. I have a source for all the kinds Bill and Brent have and more. ;-) I am looking to fill a need if there is one. If not, as you have all stated, there are some great existing sources.
Do you have list of the cultivar? is it a bare root or grafted? size, price?

Top Bottom