• Tropical Green Sheets

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Save the $$$ for another tree

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
So, I have a little money to spend and would like to buy one of these resources. All are priced around $40-50.

Boon's Wiring and Styling DVD
http://www.bonsaiboon.com/pages/shopping.html

I have a decent grasp of basic wiring, even having some success with the 2-branches/1-wire technique lately. I've heard these DVD's are a good way to pick up some more tricks. I have no specific interest in Black Pines, but from what I understand, many of Boon's lessons here apply to most other species.

Bonsai Techniques II - John Yoshio Naka
http://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Techni...TF8&coliid=I16BACGJCCL54Q&colid=3SXY75685XDXG

Obviously a classic. I have the first book and eventually will add this to my library - just not sure if it will be as immediately helpful as the other choices.

Tropical Green Sheets
http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=265

Has anyone ever seen this one? Most bonsai books are lacking when it comes to tropical trees. This appears to have lots of info on species that I have in my back yard.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
There are a lot of clubs and teachers in your area. Buy some gas, and use the rest for a year of club dues. I think you will find that the teachings of those who have read all the books and done all the techniques will be far more useful than an outdated book or a Boon DVD.

http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/?page_id=8

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Naka's book isn't outdated, the information is still very relevant. Interestingly enough, trees grow the same way today as they did back then. aesthetics hasn't changed to much either. It's worth it for the drawings alone. I've gotten alot of inspiration from them over the years. I believe Walter Pall also has mentioned having respect for Naka's books. Get the book, and also find a good teacher.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Brian, thanks for your reply. That's common advice in the New to Bonsai forum, and for good reason I'm sure. Maybe I already have a full tank of gas & have joined a club and am now looking for something to augment that for at-home study......actually no, I haven't, but it is a medium term goal of mine. There's also a BYOT workshop once or twice a month a nursery that I'm looking forward to. For now, I'll just say that I'm busy and not a very social person. Excuses perhaps, but true nonetheless.

I should also add that I hold an IOU from my dad for a pre-bonsai Ficus from Durastone. Just trying to find a Sunday when we can meet there to pick it out & maybe catch a free workshop.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should also take the time, plus a little $ and gas, to visit Eric Wigerts bonsai nursery. You won't regret it! :cool:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Cquinn;

True, Naka's books are sort of the Bible of bonsai and still contain very good information on cultivation and technical procedures, but I definitely feel aesthetics have changed significantly. What was once considered a masterpiece then would need much refinement by today's standards.

Mat;
So, I guess if you feel like being anti-social, Naka's books are the best bet. Try Ebay for the better deals, and sometimes you can get both books as a set. You might also benefit from Boon's dvd, but I'm not sure you are to that skill level yet.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Cquinn;

True, Naka's books are sort of the Bible of bonsai and still contain very good information on cultivation and technical procedures, but I definitely feel aesthetics have changed significantly. What was once considered a masterpiece then would need much refinement by today's standards.

Mat;
So, I guess if you feel like being anti-social, Naka's books are the best bet. Try Ebay for the better deals, and sometimes you can get both books as a set. You might also benefit from Boon's dvd, but I'm not sure you are to that skill level yet.

Aesthetics haven't changed, only standards. Our standards are getting closer to the Japanese as we have more Japanese trained students in the US. There are also more imports coming in than in Naka's day. The cultivation/Horticulture is one and the same with the aesthetics of bonsai. Can't have one without the other. Amount and frequency of water, fertilizer, and sunlight all lead to aesthetics. Most people confuse aesthetics with only balance, shape, and color. Doesn't do any good to have good visual balance when your internodes are two inches apart on your 12" inch tall maple because you gave it too much nitrogen in the spring and now have to cut it back and start over again.

Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind, most clubs have a library. You can probably find alot of good material to read.

Dave

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Mat;

I certainly dont think that I'm being anti-social because I tend to keep to myself, just un-social.

Naka's book it is. Ebay does have a few, so I think I'll bid on one. I don't need both books as a set as I've had the first for quite a while.

I'll probably also get Boon's DVD soon - maybe a birthday present to myself. That's the one I was leaning towards before the poll. Graham Potter's short video on wiring helped immensely, and I'm hoping Boon's will do the same. It's funny that I added the 4th choice almost as an afterthought to my original post, and that's the most popular. I will be adding a few new trees this year as well.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, Bonsai Techniques II is a more valuable book information-wise than I. It is more design-oriented and has less of the care stuff--which was really kind of obsolete when the first book was printed as it devleoped from localized S. California care instruction sheets Naka gave to his students.

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As someone who has both Boon's DVDs and Naka's book -- I would go with Naka II if I had to choose one to buy first (eventually you should get both, of course :) ). On their specific subjcts, Boon's DVDs are just as informative as Naka's book, and definitely more modern.

However, as one of the previous responders noted, the drawings in the Naka book are really wonderful and (to me) inspiring. I wish more modern bonsai had these forms.

Plus, the Naka book is quite detailed on one aspect of JBP that is largely missing from the Boon DVDs -- and missing from many other sources as well -- the process of developing a pine BEFORE it is ready to be styled, wired, and decandled. Somewhere toward the end of vol II, there is actually a JBP progression series (with drawings) that starts with raw material. This (together with an article by Brent Walston on the same subject that was originally a bonsaisite.com thread) has been more useful to me than anything else on the subject.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
I've got all three so my choice for a newbie would be Nakas book. I luck up a few years ago. I got a signed choped copy of both books in like new from ebay.....they were not even listed as signed or chopped. I got them cheaper that sites that were selling them and signed to boot.

But get to club or study group. THere are several in good driving distance from Central Florida. Theres several nurserys in central south flordia too. Closet to central is D and L Nursery http://www.dlnursery.com/ dave and linda have a great place and have workshop once or twice a month.

And once you buy stock always buy for guality.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
After a few weeks of trying, I finally won one at a reasonable price from Ebay :) $31 with free shipping. Looking forward to flipping through it soon...

Reaction score
this is like what came first the chicken or the egg... Let me tell you that there are alot of us out there that have been doing bonsai for quite some time and have never seen the vid or read the book... so there!!! Buy the plant!!!!!!!!! It is a no brainer, does you no good to learn something, only to lose it by not being unable to carry out it's practice...

Top Bottom