Which side is more powerful, more stable?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I'd like to ask your opinion about this trunk base.
Which side is more stable and powerful? Please explain the reason for your select.
Thanks.
Bonhe

Side A.

Side B.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Bonhe! I was just asking about you! We missed you!

In this case, I think it depends on the styling of the tree. Side A has a twisting motion to it that might work better with a more informal style. Side B is more static and might work better for a formal style.

All things equal, I prefer Side A because the roots seem to be grasping the soil better. Side B the roots seem to be going straight down. Side B is a little boring to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I personally think side A shows a lot of character...that said I would love to see if said tree carries that flow all the way to the top. It screams informal and battered to me. Side B seems like a solid base...but, one that hasn't fought the odds and won so to speak. So a more classical looking tree to go with it.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Bonhe! I was just asking about you! We missed you!

In this case, I think it depends on the styling of the tree. Side A has a twisting motion to it that might work better with a more informal style. Side B is more static and might work better for a formal style.

All things equal, I prefer Side A because the roots seem to be grasping the soil better. Side B the roots seem to be going straight down. Side B is a little boring to me.

Hi Bonsai Nut, I missed you guys too! I hope we will get together sometimes in the near future.
You are correct about dependence of the tree style. This particular tree has formal upright style. Thanks for your opinion.
Bonhe

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally think side A shows a lot of character...that said I would love to see if said tree carries that flow all the way to the top. It screams informal and battered to me. Side B seems like a solid base...but, one that hasn't fought the odds and won so to speak. So a more classical looking tree to go with it.
Thanks for your thinking.
Bonhe

Top Bottom