Which size pots for seeds and seedlings?

TwilightTrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am going to plant a lot of seeds, so I'm wondering which pots or tray to choose? I have some very shallow tray, like only one inch deep soil. Are they any good? Or do I need deeper pots? I was just thinking it could be good to limit the possibility of the seedlings to develop a tap root? But on the other hand I see videos where people plants in deeper pots and later cut the tap root? There must be a reason for that?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally prefer somewhat shallower to discourage tap root if possible. Use pot big enough for one year, repot and cut taproot second year after frost past into bigger pot, box or ground. Next repot can further shorten tap root if still needed always keeping good amount of feeder roots😊. Personally do not grow flats or beds of seed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Seedlings in shallow pots will still develop the same tap root but it will just grow sideways across the bottom of the tray. Deep or shallow you'll still need to root prune at some stage.
I usually sow seed in shallow trays then transplant seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle but seed planted in individual post or deeper pots will still grow and can be transplanted and root pruned when you are ready. Some seedlings get left in the shallow trays for a year or 2 because I don't always get time or space to transplant them all. Transplants to individual post usually grow faster due to no competition but no real drawbacks with either way.
Trees tend to grow faster and bigger in deeper pots, probably because of more stable moisture, temp and nutrients in the deeper pots. Shallow pots can dry out very quick in summer so be prepared to water often, especially if you have lots of seedlings all trying to grow and using up water from the soil.

Both shallow and deeper can be used. Both have advantages and disadvantages so it probably comes down to individual preference.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In addition to the above excellent information ^^^, you need to consider the types of seed you are sowing. Are they large seeds? Do they grow rapidly? Are they small seeds or are the intended seedlings slow growers? Also consider that shallow pots dry much faster than deeper pots. Can you water once or twice a day? Or are you more in the mode of watering every few days?
There is no blanket answer to your inquiry due to these and other variables. But the act of sowing seed can be a reward into itself for those with the inclination and the patience.
Best of luck.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Trees tend to grow faster and bigger in deeper pots, probably because of more stable moisture, temp and nutrients in the deeper pots. Shallow pots can dry out very quick in summer so be prepared to water often, especially if you have lots of seedlings all trying to grow and using up water from the soil.
Deeper pots drain/dry out faster than shallow pots due to water/soil physics. Whether that's good or bad depends on the species and your climate.

The #1 thing with seedlings and saplings is to start small and gradually increase the pot size. This encourages root growth, and strong root balls are what make trees grow fast (not big pots).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Deeper pots drain/dry out faster than shallow pots due to water/soil physics. Whether that's good or bad depends on the species and your climate.

The #1 thing with seedlings and saplings is to start small and gradually increase the pot size. This encourages root growth, and strong root balls are what make trees grow fast (not big pots).
Deeper pots do drain faster but do not dry out faster. Shallow pots, while perhaps draining slower, dry faster because there is less water and less insulation from the elements. Soil mixes should account for this and it really won't make a huge difference.
Put a pot out in the sun with a deep layer of soil and one with a shallow layer. Check the results and you will have your answer. It has less to do with the depth of the soil than it does with the volume of soil.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is certainly the case and why commercially grown plants are normally stepped up.

Top Bottom