Which style do you like better: A poll (Cherry)

Which tree do you like best #1 or #2?

• Open Style

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Remove branches from one side and rotate.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that this is an ornamental cherry tree which are used a lot in landscaping around my area but not too much in bonsai (maybe the leaves don't reduce in size enough. I was intrigued with the bark on this tee, cut it down to a stump and let it grow. As I progress in the styling I can do a large open style or lose a side of the tree to create dramatic taper. Which do you like best? Currently no branches are wired, I plan to do that as I receive feedback from this post.

Choice #1 (Open Style)
Cherry1.jpg

Choice #2 (More taper, rotated)
Cherry4_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If that is a Prunus 'Kwanzan' tree it has double pink blooms and is regarded as a large asset as a tree(not Bonsai) in Japanese gardens. We have one at our new property that I am having knocked down to 10 foot or so I can shape it better come Spring. If it is a Kwanzan I would put in a rather large pot and use it as a decorative as they do in Japan. Side Note - When the Kwanzan trees bloom there they tell you on the daily news as they are quite nice to see.

Grimmy

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that is a Prunus 'Kwanzan' tree it has double pink blooms and is regarded as a large asset as a tree(not Bonsai) in Japanese gardens. We have one at our new property that I am having knocked down to 10 foot or so I can shape it better come Spring. If it is a Kwanzan I would put in a rather large pot and use it as a decorative as they do in Japan. Side Note - When the Kwanzan trees bloom there they tell you on the daily news as they are quite nice to see.

Grimmy

Interesting information, thanks! I would love it if this were a flowering cherry, but I've had it about four or five years without a single blossom. But your info is much appreciated.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Barry not alot to go on, but from the 2 selections you provided I would prefer the second. If the first was thinned then the selection would probably be closer.

startjuniper

Seedling
Reaction score
Is there a way to change a vote? Just wondering for future reference since I am new to this site.

Top Bottom