Which style shears?

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I recently noticed a Japanese bonsai nursery owner on YT who used the below type snips constantly. A pair of premium quality ones (Felco) cost about €20. That's roughly the same price as entry level bonsai shears on Amazon.

Being in the market for some shears, it made me wonder whether these 'western' snips can do the same thing the Japanese bonsai shears can. Do the jap ones offer any benefits aside from the aesthetics?

Anybody here who uses, or has used the 'western' snips?

Attachments

• felco snips.png
    felco snips.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 15
  • bonsai shears.jpg
    bonsai shears.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 15

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just don't be without a good (or not, mine "aren't") set of cuticle cutters.

If the tree is small they'll reach, if it's big they'll fit, and they come with a built in limiter to the size twigs you're supposed to use shears for.

Sorce

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Felco's are fine. Cheap bonsai shears are often very poorly made for the same price you have very good snips. They are not traditional but get the job done just as well.
I do not know about the Tian shears.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aside from traditional aesthetics, nope, no difference in effectiveness.
The traditional bonsai scissors seem easier to sharpen when needed, so even a cheap pair might last you much longer if properly maintained.

I often use regular western household scissors on the trees and plants I take care of at work, just because they're right there, and my kitchen shears or hair cutting scissors at home. A couple months ago I picked up some very cheap traditional style ones from a shop in town that specialized in traditional American frontier style crafts. They'll be put through the paces this season, but if they weren't offered to me for free I wouldn't have bothered.

Top Bottom