Which tool do you use to create jin and shari

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone please give some suggestions on the tools? Which brand electronic carving tool do you use to create jin and shari?

Thank you!

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I
If the wood is green I tend not the carve but pull fibers to create Shari. I tend to use needle nose pliers . But I do have gouges. I will still try to pul the fibers vs cutting them. It creates a way more natural looking dead wood when you can do it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually use hand tools for stripping bark. A pair of pliers and a knife works well. Sometimes just a blade of the pruning scissors is enough for small jins.
Use a sharp knife, I use the grafting knife, to outline the edges of shari before peeling the bark.

For light carving a rotary tool like dremel is OK but I've killed 3 of those now and the bits available are quite small and slow to remove wood.
For heavier carving a die grinder has much more grunt and can take larger, faster carving bits.
Arbortech have a couple of options that can remove plenty of wood but hard to do finer work in tight places.

There's not just one does it all tool for carving. It depends a lot on what, where and how much you intend to carve.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Use hand tools. More subtle and natural.
I use a root cutter to split and pull fibers. Concave cutter works ok too.

If I’m carving i use a die grinder, but mostly on deciduous.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use jin pliers to crush the end of the branch to separate the fibers and then use the pliers to grab a bundle of fibers and pull them to make the jin. I don’t normally use power tools to make jin or shari.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I usually use hand tools for stripping bark. A pair of pliers and a knife works well. Sometimes just a blade of the pruning scissors is enough for small jins.
Use a sharp knife, I use the grafting knife, to outline the edges of shari before peeling the bark.

For light carving a rotary tool like dremel is OK but I've killed 3 of those now and the bits available are quite small and slow to remove wood.
For heavier carving a die grinder has much more grunt and can take larger, faster carving bits.
Arbortech have a couple of options that can remove plenty of wood but hard to do finer work in tight places.

There's not just one does it all tool for carving. It depends a lot on what, where and how much you intend to carve.
Thank you for the details!

Top Bottom