Which tree to learn ROR

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Understood. Should be getting few trees tomorrow and will choose a few to try the ROR as well as the Ebihara on.
Will try to find few small maples as it looks they're more suited for this, haven't seen any here so I'm hoping I'll find some...
One last thing I'm not sure about is the soil to use to grow the tree for ror and Ebihara. As the key factor here is root growth sinuous think using Coco peat or any peat it a sandy soil is preferred as it's softer for roots to grow or do I use pumice and clay soil mix that I'm using for bonsai soil ?
Thanks
Maroun

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I pretty much use the same soil for everything.

Except azalea. They go into kanuma.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
So got me some trees and experimented with ROR and making my first forrest which I'll post in a different thread. Also chose to have the center of my forest as an ROR and tried ot use one tree that looked as if it'll work as it had elevated roots....
I'm also preparing one froma root cutting which should look more natural and will replace it by it in few years I guess...
so here goes. those were the best rocks I could find with channels for roots to go through and some holes.
IMAG5837[4].jpg

IMAG5838.jpg

Got me these trees to make a forest
First one from LEft will be a ROR and center of the forest and 2nd from Right will be a an ebihara.
one for ROR has some elevated roots which allowed to place a rocka nd I guess it won't look too artificial. I'm also preparing another one from roots which would look more natural. Will replace it with it in few years as center of the forest...
IMAG5846.jpg
placing it on the rock without it looking too artificial was not easy at all and I doubt it will look normal... I was told about this before and don't really expect good results but jsut need to have something nicer for my forest for the time being and will replace in the future as said
IMAG5847.jpg
IMAG5837[4].jpg IMAG5838.jpg IMAG5846.jpg IMAG5847.jpg IMAG5846.jpg IMAG5859.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG5860.jpg
    IMAG5860.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
And here it is covered with a mix of Pumice and clay
IMAG5866c.jpg

Also took a few root cuttings and will try to grow ROR. also experiented with growing them ROR in following soils:
-Pumice 3 part,
-large clay balls 2 parts
-Smaller clay balls 3 carts
also planted one in Coco Pat alone and one in Pumice and one in Cocopeat with a top layer of soil mix as above...
Will see if the Coco peat allows for better root growth

Also took a few Elm roots from above trees and placed them on rocks as well. I also tried one Tuja small tree I had and also with an olive root.

IMAG5861.jpg
IMAG5882.jpg IMAG5884.jpg
IMAG5884.jpg IMAG5885.jpg

IMAG5886.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
went and found me a couple more rocks to try with different trees hopefully, wondering if I should use each of them alone or maybe both together (i could epoxy them to make sure they don't move) any thoughts?
Also do you think Olive makes for a nice ROR? or any specific suggestions to the rocks I found?IMAG0030.jpg IMAG0033.jpg IMAG0034.jpg IMAG0037.jpg IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0055.jpg

Thanks.

Top Bottom