Which window is best for my Fukien tea

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
"If your 'unique' tree is a Fukien Tea it needs to live outdoors. I know the internet will tell you that all kinds of bonsai trees can live indoors but it's simply not the case. As I said it's simply not a beginner tree but if you want to make it work put it outdoors and it should live".

My FT lives indoors for about 4 months of the year in a south facing window. It flowers continually, even through the winter. Too cold here in Canada to keep it outdoors through the winter. I don't use any special lights and I mist it everyday. It 's doing great!

Surely Dallas is warm enough to keep it outdoors, isn't it?
What is the average temperature when you bring your tree inside? Do you wait until there are zero nights that fall below a certain temperature? do you just go by the general average and if one night happens to be to cold it’s okay since it’s just one? Or do you just take it inside on select nights that happen to be too cold? I’m surprised your tree can live outside most of the year in Canada. Maybe this little guy can handle more than I think it can

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe this little guy can handle more than I think it can

There is no reason to subject it to cold night time temperatures. There is a misconception that trees are just immediately going to croak if you bring them inside. Not true at all. I would much prefer to keep a tropical inside during the winter to keep the metabolism up, rather than have it too cold just for the sake of being outside.

I grow a variety of tropicals inside for 5-6 months out of the year, in a south window. Outside in the summer. They’re all doing great both inside and out.

In Dallas you very well may keep it outside most of the year, but I would not hesitate to bring it inside for the coldest months.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is the average temperature when you bring your tree inside? Do you wait until there are zero nights that fall below a certain temperature? do you just go by the general average and if one night happens to be to cold it’s okay since it’s just one? Or do you just take it inside on select nights that happen to be too cold? I’m surprised your tree can live outside most of the year in Canada. Maybe this little guy can handle more than I think it can
I bring it in any time I know the temp. will go below about 10 degrees celcius- that's about 50 F. Though I have left it out on nights when it went down to 8 and it was totally fine. My south facing window is just above the deck on which I keep it outside for most of the year. With the warmer weather we've been having, I'm finding it's able to stay outside until mid October and in March I'll let it sit in the sun when temps go up 10 or above. I do the same with my Brazilian Rain trees.

IMG_2545.JPG

Top Bottom