Which window is best for my Fukien tea

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got a Fukien tea as my first bonsai tree. (Dallas, zone 8b) I’m not off to a great start. The tree was stuck in its box for a couple extra days because my husband didn’t read the box and didn’t tell me it came. It seems to be doing so so but it’s dropping a few leaves but it’s still green. After reading these forms I realize I’ve been over watering it but I think my main problem now is where to put it. I don’t know if I should leave it at my south facing window or my east facing window. I have moved it a couple times from upstairs to downstairs trying to find it the most sun I can find it. I don’t want to keep moving it around but I want it to have the best possible chance at survival. It’s currently sitting in a south facing window. I got a grow light for it but idk if I should use it or not or if I should just leave it by a window to adjust to its new home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 46

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hey, welcome to bonsai! Definitely experienced what you are right now. Leaf drop is okay, a lot of the time trees do that when adjusting to a new environment.

If it has to be indoors, putting it right in front of a south facing window is the best place for it while rotating it every week. I would avoid doing the sun shuffle all over the house, it needs to adapt to one spot. If it’s far back from a window it will probably need grow lights.

definitely do everything you can to avoid overwatering. Just let it rest and try not to worry about it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't be certain yet you are overwatering, I don't think you've had it long enough for it to show any signs of overwatering.

Welcome to Crazy!

I prefer the more controlled environment away from the cold of the window under lights.

Sorce

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, welcome to bonsai! Definitely experienced what you are right now. Leaf drop is okay, a lot of the time trees do that when adjusting to a new environment.

If it has to be indoors, putting it right in front of a south facing window is the best place for it while rotating it every week. I would avoid doing the sun shuffle all over the house, it needs to adapt to one spot. If it’s far back from a window it will probably need grow lights.

definitely do everything you can to avoid overwatering. Just let it rest and try not to worry about it.
Thank you for the info ! I just rotated it. I got so scared when the leaves started dropping. It stopped and started to grow flowers so I think I’m okay. I don’t think a tree would spend the energy to grow flowers if it was dying. Originally I was really wanting to have him in the house but after reading stuff on here I decided to just have him inside till spring. I live in Dallas so he can be outside most of the year

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't be certain yet you are overwatering, I don't think you've had it long enough for it to show any signs of overwatering.

Welcome to Crazy!

I prefer the more controlled environment away from the cold of the window under lights.

Sorce

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
The tag it came with said to water it every 2-3 days so I’ve been watering it with the submerge method every other day (that would be every 2 days?? I think?) Should I wait longer? It grew flowers but now they are turning brown

Attachments

• D1AEBF8D-69AF-4FB8-963E-F73FFB0B234D.jpeg
    D1AEBF8D-69AF-4FB8-963E-F73FFB0B234D.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 33
  • B30A93B5-A0C1-4B21-AACF-87A28298CE9F.jpeg
    B30A93B5-A0C1-4B21-AACF-87A28298CE9F.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 35

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tag it came with said to water it every 2-3 days

That's kinda like the side of a soup can that says microwave it, you gotta still figure the power of your microwave.

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Why aren't you keeping it outdoors? You're in an area where it can live outdoors. A FT is a very finicky tree particularly to start with. I consider it a difficult one and all my others have been easy so far. My FT likes to be on the dry side and it should come with a bottle of neem oil...It's just buggy and when I read about it I learned why but I'll let you study it and see what you find.

It does like shaded light and a few hours of unfiltered light. A window is simply not enough light. Good luck with it but if you want it to live put it outdoors and don't overwater.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The tag it came with said to water it every 2-3 days so I’ve been watering it with the submerge method every other day (that would be every 2 days?? I think?) Should I wait longer? It grew flowers but now they are turning brown
I could be wrong, but I believe indoor bonsai use less water. You should become familiar with how much water your unique tree needs.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If your 'unique' tree is a Fukien Tea it needs to live outdoors. I know the internet will tell you that all kinds of bonsai trees can live indoors but it's simply not the case. I'm sure there may be some bonsai masters that can grow an elm indoors but I've never seen one or a FT or any of the others that claim they're grown indoors. As I said it's simply not a beginner tree but if you want to make it work put it outdoors and it should live.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If your 'unique' tree is a Fukien Tea it needs to live outdoors. I know the internet will tell you that all kinds of bonsai trees can live indoors but it's simply not the case. I'm sure there may be some bonsai masters that can grow an elm indoors but I've never seen one or a FT or any of the others that claim they're grown indoors. As I said it's simply not a beginner tree but if you want to make it work put it outdoors and it should live.
Definitely agree with this, If there is an option to keep it out doors that is best as long as your outdoor temperatures stay around 50f or higher. Fukien Tea's are tropical trees so they are used to high humidity, and generally the air inside of houses is very dry. There seems to be mixed views on if misting is beneficial or not, but I do lightly mist my indoor tiger bark ficus everyday.

Full transparency, I'm very new to bonsai. Most of my knowledge comes from combing through these forums daily and doing my own research online. I was told by a lot of people on here to not keep my tigerbark ficus inside, but alas I'm giving it a shot anyways with some grow lights and proper placement knowing that it may not survive. It either will be indoors or I have to get rid of it, there is just no room on my balcony because I know my deciduous trees will die indoors.

Last edited:

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Fukien Teas are a fukien pain in the rear. Don't be upset if it doesn't make it. NOW that we got that out of the way, I've managed to keep one alive for over a decade....
1) My impression is that u are overwatering. Put your finger into the soil and see if it is moist. Don't water if it is. If it has more organic soil which is what it looks like then once a week may be plenty. I moved mine to fully inorganic when I repotted in summer (dumb move) so I've been watering 2x a week.
2) Ditch the humidity tray. It really does nothing. I just water mine and let it sit on a dry tray.
3) I don't submerge it to water it but that's up to you. I also do not mist or advise misting.
Hope this helps. I'm at work so sorry if I came off a little terse. That is not my intention. Please reach out if any questions.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You make me laugh.

Overwatering a FT is an issue, even outdoors. It likes to be on the moist side, almost dry. In Ca and even in Fl it can be done...keeping it indoors that is but it's a lot easier to keep alive outdoors. If you have other trees that are in the more significant collection of your trees than keeping this creature indoors is just a pain.

I don't even keep it with my other trees. We built shelving just for the bonsai but I keep this one to itself. As I said it should come with a bottle of Neem Oil. If I see one black leaf I have to spray, but that's the nature of a FT...It's not just me.

Am hoping you'll do well but there are people with far more experience than me who have had them die on them. Most people here in fact. As I said it's a very finicky tree. I have to work at keeping mine in the condition it 'needs' to be in regarding light and water and it's a pain. I'd rather be spending that time on trees that pay me back so to speak. I have far easier trees that flower and bear fruit. This little tropical should but we'll see how it does in the spring.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"If your 'unique' tree is a Fukien Tea it needs to live outdoors. I know the internet will tell you that all kinds of bonsai trees can live indoors but it's simply not the case. As I said it's simply not a beginner tree but if you want to make it work put it outdoors and it should live".

My FT lives indoors for about 4 months of the year in a south facing window. It flowers continually, even through the winter. Too cold here in Canada to keep it outdoors through the winter. I don't use any special lights and I mist it everyday. It 's doing great!

Surely Dallas is warm enough to keep it outdoors, isn't it?

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You make me laugh.

Overwatering a FT is an issue, even outdoors. It likes to be on the moist side, almost dry. In Ca and even in Fl it can be done...keeping it indoors that is but it's a lot easier to keep alive outdoors. If you have other trees that are in the more significant collection of your trees than keeping this creature indoors is just a pain.

I don't even keep it with my other trees. We built shelving just for the bonsai but I keep this one to itself. As I said it should come with a bottle of Neem Oil. If I see one black leaf I have to spray, but that's the nature of a FT...It's not just me.

Am hoping you'll do well but there are people with far more experience than me who have had them die on them. Most people here in fact. As I said it's a very finicky tree. I have to work at keeping mine in the condition it 'needs' to be in regarding light and water and it's a pain. I'd rather be spending that time on trees that pay me back so to speak. I have far easier trees that flower and bear fruit. This little tropical should but we'll see how it does in the spring.
He didn’t come with any neem oil but I’ll get some. I’ll move him outdoors come spring if he makes it. I hope he does. I’ll do my best in the meantime. Dallas gets down in the 30s and 40s. One night could be a low of 37 and the next could be 57. So I don’t think he should go out there now. Thank you for the advice! So happy you told me about the oil!

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely agree with this, If there is an option to keep it out doors that is best as long as your outdoor temperatures stay around 50f or higher. Fukien Tea's are tropical trees so they are used to high humidity, and generally the air inside of houses is very dry. There seems to be mixed views on if misting is beneficial or not, but I do lightly mist my indoor tiger bark ficus everyday.

Full transparency, I'm very new to bonsai. Most of my knowledge comes from combing through these forums daily and doing my own research online. I was told by a lot of people on here to not keep my tigerbark ficus inside, but alas I'm giving it a shot anyways with some grow lights and proper placement knowing that it may not survive. It either will be indoors or I have to get rid of it, there is just no room on my balcony because I know my deciduous trees will die indoors.
Good luck to you on keeping yours indoors. I almost got a ficus. I wish I had now that I know what a pain the Fukien is. I just impulse bought it. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I’m happy I did

DiveBarDiva

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
"If your 'unique' tree is a Fukien Tea it needs to live outdoors. I know the internet will tell you that all kinds of bonsai trees can live indoors but it's simply not the case. As I said it's simply not a beginner tree but if you want to make it work put it outdoors and it should live".

My FT lives indoors for about 4 months of the year in a south facing window. It flowers continually, even through the winter. Too cold here in Canada to keep it outdoors through the winter. I don't use any special lights and I mist it everyday. It 's doing great!

Yeah. Dallas is warm enough most of the year. It’s in the 30s and 40s at night now a lot of nights. Some nights are warm enough but I don’t think most are. It definitely won’t be in a month or two.

Dallas is warm enough most of the year. The low temperature is less than 50 degrees most days now so I don’t want to put him outside. Almost everything I read says he needs 60 degrees or more. At least more than 50. I bought it to have as an indoor tree but now that I learned more about it I have really come to terms with him living outside. If everyone thinks he could stand the Dallas night time temperatures I’ll put it out there now. I want him to have the best chance at survival

Top Bottom