Which would you buy?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brian Van Fleet
I have some more pics of the juniper and upon further study the right side trunk is very long and straight without taper. It’s also pretty barren on the back side. I’m not really feeling this one anymore. What do you all think?
View attachment 228643View attachment 228644
I still favour the shimpaku, the straighter side would be reduced and carved, the other side shows great promise for development.
The key is what you favour and how you see the tree developing within your skill set and level of experience.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I still favour the shimpaku, the straighter side would be reduced and carved, the other side shows great promise for development.
The key is what you favour and how you see the tree developing within your skill set and level of experience.
Thank you. I can see a smaller bonsai with a powerful base and the big trunk carved down as well. But I have little experience with juniper. Most of my experience is with deciduous and a few JBP . I’ve read a lot about them and figure I could manage but I’m not sure. I did pick up a little one about 3-4 years old that I’m going get some experience with. Maybe get a bigger one later.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brian Van Fleet
I have some more pics of the juniper and upon further study the right side trunk is very long and straight without taper. It’s also pretty barren on the back side. I’m not really feeling this one anymore. What do you all think?
View attachment 228643View attachment 228644
If it does not wring your bell don't give it a hammer. You could always cut the long straight trunk back, or your could layer it off, or you cut cut it short and jin the remains.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Grab that Shimpaku. Even if you don’t work it now, you’ll be glad you did. I may try a virt later.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. I can see a smaller bonsai with a powerful base and the big trunk carved down as well. But I have little experience with juniper. Most of my experience is with deciduous and a few JBP . I’ve read a lot about them and figure I could manage but I’m not sure. I did pick up a little one about 3-4 years old that I’m going get some experience with. Maybe get a bigger one later.
Then you won't feel bad if i go for a drive and pick it up myself at that price?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok remember it’s at the Home Depot in Minneapolis. If it’s not there when you get there it’s not my fault.
But really I’ve made up my mind thank you very much.
No problem. You head for the Home Depot and i will phone John!
Should be a fair race.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve recently had a long look through the prebonsai stock at Bonsai Northwest and felt disappointed. Some of the JBP were decent but had flaws and poor branch placement. Many of the deciduous trees had rough chops that would take a lifetime to fix.

Of the current inventory and what I’ve seen here, the Shimpaku looks like the best bet.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really do love that beech, on a spiritual level.
I know it’s love because she has a lot of flaws and I love her in spite of them. I’m very tempted to buy the beech and just develop it as is as something that looks good in leaf but much less so naked
I also have a European beech that I can work with for now. Along with all types of other deciduous trees.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Every budding bonsai master needs a big shimpaku in his collection. So I’m getting the shimpaku. Your avatar helped some also.
When you check the tree, look for root development on the back left, the way the tree is situated in the pot seems to indicate a lack of nebari on that side. Not a stopper just something to be aware of ahead of time.

Top Bottom